Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok I had posted that this was a Selmer short shank here and on ebay,
someone contacted me on ebay saying it is a long shank. As I am not very familiar
with these pieces I would appreciate some help.

What is it and what would be a reasonable asking price please, it came in the case
of a 1963 Mark VI I purchased when the horn was purchased new, thanks for the help
and Happy Thanksgiving. Jay

https://www.ebay.com/itm/264003491063

·
Distinguished SOTW Coffee Guru
38,878 Posts
It’s a long shank scroll (I don’t think this is a soloit) and they are worth less than short ones, the good thing is that is an E and not the omnipresent C.

I’d say half of your asking price would be already plenty.

·
Registered
1,465 Posts
It is what is usually called a "Soloist style" mouthpiece, and it is a long shank. The chronology goes: short shank Soloist -- long shank Soloist -- long shank Soloist style. The long shank Soloist style is pretty much the same as the long shank Soloist, but they no longer said "Soloist" on the table. My understanding is that they removed the name "Soloist" in the 70's, so that might not be the original mpc for that 63' VI. I would think that would have come with a true Soloist.

As for value, the long shank Soloist style pieces are the most common, and least valuable of the 3 variations. Still, I don't think your price is that far out of line, considering it is an E, and it appears to be in excellent condition.

Regarding short vs. long shank, it's really easy to tell the difference once you've seen a few, or even just by looking at pictures of some. The length difference is in the area between the barrel of the mouthpiece and the wreath design on the shank. Short shank mouthpieces therefore have a very pronounced "U" shaped dip between those two points. Long shank pieces have a much more gradual taper from the barrel to where the raised wreath design begins.

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the help, I've decided to drop it to $199 as I purchased the Mark VI on the cheap side
and it had the florida link and this piece included, thanks again. Jay

·
Registered
1,438 Posts
I picked up one of these for $85 from a sax-oriented shop. It was probably a little undervalued, but I'd say if it's a good player $150 would be a decent price for one of these.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts