Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently bought a Conn 11m, great horn but one small problem. The bell is SUPER huge and the case (gard) i bought barely fits and puts strain on the bell. Does anyone know and soft cases that have enough room for a big bell like that to suit it comfortably so i dont have to cry at night worrying? Price point is absolutely no issue. i prefer a newer case so that i can use straps and lug it around with me to school and concerts and gigs and across campus. anyone that can point me in the right direction will be a big help, thanks !!

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2015-
35,487 Posts
ProTec

·
Distinguished SOTW Technician.
1,804 Posts
I can confirm that a regular Protec baritone case will fit the 11M...one of my regular clients uses this combination and the fit is good.

·
Indistinguishable Resident Buescher Bigot and Foru
8,588 Posts
Could take a grinder to the bell and cut some of the flair off.

Or, you could get the Protec ProPac bari case. There is only one size for bari. No XL version. I also highly recommend the backpack strap (it's an extra cost option).

·
Distinguished SOTW Technician
3,410 Posts
I had this problem with a Keilwerth stencil Low Bb bari would you believe! I use an old 'Berkely Of London' fibre glass case. I cut a piece carefully out of the case top (lid) to expose the bell lip with the case shut and built a higher profile using glass fibre, sanded it down and painted the whole lid matt black-perfect, and one or two guys thought I'd bought a new case

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2016
19,242 Posts
Well either chip away at the sax to make it fit, or buy a new case
I realize this post is over 4 months old, and assume the OP found a solution by now, but just for Posterity and since someone revived the thread...

One can also...chip away at the case.

On modern cases I do this sometimes...if the interior of the case has padding or styrofoam beneath the velveteen, it can be 'carved' with a Utility knife to conform to the horn better. Then using a hot glue gun and more fabric, just patch where you carved and you are good to go.

However, if the horn is actually compressing against the shell of the case, this won't work.

Best of luck.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts