Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys,

I've been trying on and off with this growling technique.

I really like the sound of it, but I can never get it right.

So that way I've been going about it is, first I play a note (today is was a lower range f) Then I attempt to try to sing or hum a different pitch note.
But it never works. I feel like my throat physically wont' allow it. It's driving me nuts! :x

And just so I dont' make a million more threads, I've been attempting to do other sax tricks as well. I think I can do a flutter toungue, but I'm not sure how it sounds as I haven't recorded myself yet. But basically I put the back of my tongue very close to my soft palate and blow causing the back of my tongue to vibrate against my palate. Is this right? Or is it a completely differnet technique in itself? (I can't roll my tongue)

this is all so confusing!

help please!!

-John :)

·
Registered
300 Posts
Try whistling and humming at the same time, that way you can work on blowing air and humming at the same time and you can do it without the sax. After managing to hum and whistle (which sounds kinda cool by the way) it's pretty easy doing so on sax.

Flutter tongue is basically rolling you r's and playing at the same time, there's so much information on SOTW that all you need to do is search.

http://www.jazz-o-matic.com/
Also have a lesson that deals with growling and flutter tonguing. Check it out.

About your effect I'm not sure, but if it works well, hell why not?

·
SOTW Columnist/ Forum Contributor 2014, Disti
2,848 Posts
John, I sent a PM with a lot of detailed info about the growl and other effects which may help. It is too extensive to repost on this thread. If you do not get the PM just send an email to [email protected] and I will be glad to email the info to you or anyone who needs it.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
wow!

I just read over the pm, and became a member of the jazz-o-matic website.

Lots and lots of information!

thanks a lot guys! This is helping me tons!

*runs off to practice*

1 - 5 of 5 Posts