Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Grafton alto | Martin Comm III tenor
28,888 Posts
You mention there you have already done helpful reviews, perhaps you should link to the review site so people know the kind of quality reviews there might be. You also mention a comprehensive guide, you need to link to that.

Otherwise looks like you're just asking for money so you can go on holiday.

Personally I would find reviews of modern mouthpieces more useful than vintage mouthpieces, ie reviews for stuff I may be able to easily buy.

Although having said that, I find most reviews not so useful when they are in regard to something as subjective as mouthpieces.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Logician
25,969 Posts
Otherwise looks like you're just asking for money so you can go on holiday.
That's because he's asking for money so he can go on holiday. If this isn't against the rules, it should be.

·
SOTW Member
3,394 Posts
Help I need a Corvette payment....

·
The most prolific Distinguished SOTW poster, Forum
27,650 Posts
Got a wife, daughter and son in Germany. Send ME!!!

·
Registered
2,579 Posts
To OP: What’s wrong with earning money working (as many of us do) to fund holiday trips, instead of bluntly asking for free money?

·
Distinguished SOTW Coffee Guru
38,811 Posts
these days there are crowdfunding requests for anything, it is a new thing that probably we, older generations, don’t understand.

I don’t.

OP seems to have bought into this site's narrative

https://gogetfunding.com

GoGetFunding empowers you to raise money for anything that matters to you. From personal causes and events to projects and more. We’ve helped people from all over the world raise millions online. “

Really? You ask and they give? Just like that? :twisted:

They promote asking for money for doing just about anything, good, bad or useless things.

In theory one could say please pay me to do what I like to do best (add your own preferred activity) and I will spread my wisdom (or even do absolutely nothing).

Mecenas are not new in the world. If you are rich and you want to support someone to do something that he likes (and that you may like too).

There is nothing wrong in working to travel the world but asking for money for reviews probably doesn’t qualify under what we call “ work”.

The world is full of reviewer these days . Just go on youtube and knock yourself out.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
4,579 Posts
Then don’t donate. It’s not difficult.

Edit- no I don’t like 99% of these funding requests, but really, no one is forcing anyone to donate.

·
Registered
Alto sax, Tenor sax, Clarinet
1,306 Posts
Here's a win-win. I send him $2K for his Mark VI alto and he uses the cash to go to Germany. Everyone is happy (maybe one more than the other)!

·
Grafton alto | Martin Comm III tenor
28,888 Posts
Then don’t donate. It’s not difficult.

Edit- no I don’t like 99% of these funding requests, but really, no one is forcing anyone to donate.
Exactly. My point to the OP was to demonstrate what exactly it is, ie give us an example of the quality of the work, then people can make more of an informed decision about whether it's a worthy fund.

My wife raised money to fund the recording of a CD, Lucrezia Borgia's Daughter. This music would probably never have been heard otherwise.

·
38,811 Posts
absolutely, nevertheless, this is not an ad, it is a discussion in the discussions section, and discussing is what we are doing.

No more no less than we do when we discussing anything else in a place which is about discussing and exchanging points of view.

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
these days there are crowdfunding requests for anything, it is a new thing that probably we, older generations, don’t understand.

I don’t.
I feel the same way. I get requests via social medium all the time for "go fund me" campaigns that seem to be nothing but thinly veiled attempts to get other people to pay for a nice vacation. I am asked to "go fund" somebody who wants to participate in an artist's retreat, or write a travel book, or go do research, and invariably this means paying for someone else's trip to some lovely part of the world (while I'm stuck at work).

It's true that I can just say "no" to all these requests, and in fact that's what I do. But something about it really rubs me the wrong way. I suppose it's because I am getting to be an older person and I've had to work very hard to be able to take the few vacations I've had, and it bothers me that people think they're entitled to take a nice trip somewhere and other people should just pay their way. Probably I'm just jealous.

·
4,579 Posts
I feel the same way. I get requests via social medium all the time for "go fund me" campaigns that seem to be nothing but thinly veiled attempts to get other people to pay for a nice vacation. I am asked to "go fund" somebody who wants to participate in an artist's retreat, or write a travel book, or go do research, and invariably this means paying for someone else's trip to some lovely part of the world (while I'm stuck at work).

It's true that I can just say "no" to all these requests, and in fact that's what I do. But something about it really rubs me the wrong way. I suppose it's because I am getting to be an older person and I've had to work very hard to be able to take the few vacations I've had, and it bothers me that people think they're entitled to take a nice trip somewhere and other people should just pay their way. Probably I'm just jealous.

Oh absolutely, it's annoying but if people don't donate then these will stop. The problem is, they work more than they should. I saw a car in traffic that had written in grease pen on their car "Help us pay for our honeymoon" along with a go fund me URL. Really?

And there's a band recently who set a $100k goal to record a new album (with $50k of it going toward a producer) and THEY GOT IT ALL and then some.

You never know what you'll get if you don't ask... it just takes a lack of pride I suppose.

·
38,811 Posts
I often talk to my son who explains me how different the new generations are from mine. I listen, pondering about this old story apocryphally attributed to Mark Twain.

“ When I was a boy of fourteen, my father was so ignorant I could hardly stand to have the old man around. But when I got to be twenty-one, I was astonished at how much he had learned in seven years"

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2017
1,994 Posts

·
Forum Contributor 2016-17
1,025 Posts
Yep, the older I get the smarter my father was when I was a kid. Too soon old, too late smart (as he always said).

·
Registered
2,016 Posts
The real problem that I see is this: we have been inundated with requests for money from causes, organizations, politicians and accosted on the streets. Many have become cynical and ignore requests that we might otherwise support.

This request seems unreasonable. I would expect it to be ridiculed.

·
3,209 Posts
Usually when asking for crowd funding there are perks for the people who donate- ex. signed CDs (what's a CD??), alternate takes from a session, things people who don't back don't get, etc. Are you asking for money to do these reviews, then giving the reviews out for free for everyone? Or making everyone pay? If so, where's the incentive to donate? I didn't read about your trip so that's why I'm asking here.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts