Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm trying to locate my Great Grandfather's long lost tenor saxophone. He died in 1975 and his saxophone was sold (I have been told) through an auction at the Northside Baptist Church in St. Petersburg, FL near Tampa.

He was the only member of my family, dead or living to play saxophone, let alone be a musician. I have only one photo of him playing his saxophone, which I have included below. Looking at the picture which was taken in the 1950's, and knowing he had the saxophone for a long time, my guess is that it is a 1920-1930s Conn New Wonder Transitional tenor saxophone. You can make out the mercedes shaped tone hole guard on the bottom of the bell, and the key structure seems to line up with that of the NWT.

It's a shot in the dark but maybe I can find where it is now - myself and his family are all living in Massachusetts now. It will definitely help to know the make/model.

Any input on this would be greatly appreciated!

https://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/14943003501/in/album-72157646142266258/

Thanks!

·
Registered
313 Posts
Is he on the end? That's a Conn C melody with the curved neck. It's probably a New Wonder model.

It's not a tenor. The other saxophonist is playing a tenor.

Best of luck!

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Technician
21,077 Posts
I enlarged it and I see that it does not have pearls so it probably is before the New Wonders and my guess is in the 1910-15 era. C melody for sure.

·
Registered
1,595 Posts
Similarly, my great-grandfather played Tenor Sax, and similarly, I have a copy of the only known photo of him holding the Sax, and similarly, his Sax is long gone...I asked my step great grandmother (a 2nd marriage to a younger woman) about the Sax before she died and she said that she didn't remember what happened to his Sax or his 'Piccolo'. (I never knew that he played Piccolo until my step great grandmother told me. Too bad...I'd love to have it...

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2016
18,207 Posts
Well, your grandfather's is a Tenor, as you already know. Split-bellkey. Unfortunately, beyond that, pic is too blurry/lacking detail for me to really ID it. Cool pic though.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Technician
21,077 Posts
I think 1921 was the change to the straight neck Conns BUT it may be a Pan-American which could be up to about 1930.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Please Help Me Identify My Late Great Grandfather's Conn!!!

Hello,

My name is Conor. I am currently searching far and wide for my great grandfather's lost tenor saxophone. For all details of the saxophone, please refer to the first link below. His name was Lawrence.

https://www.reddit.com/r/tampa/comments/4xke1p/im_searching_for_my_great_grandfathers_long_lost/

For a photograph of the saxophone, please refer to the photo below. He is the saxophonist on the right with the glasses.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/14943003501/in/album-72157646142266258/

Any information will help me at all. I believe it is a Conn New Wonder Transitional, but I want your opinions. This picture is all I have to go off of, no serial number or any other pictures.

Thank you so much in advance! (Please no "it's probably in a landfill / you probably wont find it" comments, I acknowledge this is very much a shot in the dark but I can't not try)

·
Registered
929 Posts
Re: Please Help Me Identify My Late Great Grandfather's Conn!!!

That tenor (well, C-Mel, as I failed to notice) looks like it just has metal keytouches, not pearls, which would make it a wonder.
You know the serial?
That's the only way anyone can identify it.
Edit:
Could a mod merge this topic with this one?:
http://forum.saxontheweb.net/showth...nd-identify-my-Great-Grandfather-s-lost-tenor!
It's the OP asking the same question.

·
Administrator
13,990 Posts

He isn't playing a Bb Tenor Conor. Your G-Grandfather on the far right with glasses is playing a C-Melody. The guy to his right IS playing a Bb Tenor. Both are obviously early Wonder models as TrueTone mentioned.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Sax Historian
7,111 Posts

Definitely a C melody sax, the next smaller from the tenor. The man in the dark suit next to him has a tenor in Bb.

I agree it's an early Conn…Conn because of the bottom guard on the bow, and early because of the plain metal buttons without pearls. Because it also has a front high F button*, I'm going to guess it was either a later Wonder Improved or a New Invention model, and either way, made in the early to mid 19teens.

*No one is sure just when front F was added to Conns but it was present on some horns as a "teardrop" touch in the 1900s. The change to a button came by 1912. Pearl inlay buttons began with the New Wonder models in 1916.

·
7,111 Posts

A horn given away by a school sometime in the last 40 years is untraceable without a serial number, and in any circumstances, the exact instrument would probably be impossible to find. But perhaps you can acquire a Conn C melody of similar vintage.

The C melody sax was not a very popular instrument until after World War 1. Most all examples you will find date to 1920-'24. By then Conn had switched to the New Wonder model with rolled tone holes, pearled buttons and a tunable straight neck.

An earlier Conn C such as your ggf played will be a rarity, altho probably not an expensive one. But Conn built very similar horns as "stencil" instruments in the early 20s to be sold under different brand names. These used older tooling, without then-current Conn features, such as rolled tone holes, front F, pearl buttons, and the bar touch for low G#. This Bruno is an example.

3,315 Posts

Hello,

My name is Conor. I am currently searching far and wide for my great grandfather's lost tenor saxophone. For all details of the saxophone, please refer to the first link below. His name was Lawrence.

https://www.reddit.com/r/tampa/comments/4xke1p/im_searching_for_my_great_grandfathers_long_lost/

For a photograph of the saxophone, please refer to the photo below. He is the saxophonist on the right with the glasses.

Any information will help me at all. I believe it is a Conn New Wonder Transitional, but I want your opinions. This picture is all I have to go off of, no serial number or any other pictures.

Thank you so much in advance! (Please no "it's probably in a landfill / you probably wont find it" comments, I acknowledge this is very much a shot in the dark but I can't not try)
Great pics dude, love the color in affect!

·
7,111 Posts
redundant post, now that 2 threads have been merged

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
paulwl, bruce, david, jaye, tharruff, dave, and threesixtwofive, thank you all very much for your responses. I feel a bit absentminded here but I actually completely forgot about this thread, I thought I checked to see if I had already posted about this but I missed this. I must have got distracted by school and forgot it was here. This is all very, very helpful. Thank you all so much! I will close this thread

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #18

That tenor (well, C-Mel, as I failed to notice) looks like it just has metal keytouches, not pearls, which would make it a wonder.
You know the serial?
That's the only way anyone can identify it.
Edit:
Could a mod merge this topic with this one?:
http://forum.saxontheweb.net/showth...nd-identify-my-Great-Grandfather-s-lost-tenor!
It's the OP asking the same question.
Oh jeez.. I guess I got distracted by school and forgot I posted that, apologies. Hopefully it can get merged / the other one removed. Thank you, this helps very much! I don't have the serial number but I'll do digging and see what I can find.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Similarly, my great-grandfather played Tenor Sax, and similarly, I have a copy of the only known photo of him holding the Sax, and similarly, his Sax is long gone...I asked my step great grandmother (a 2nd marriage to a younger woman) about the Sax before she died and she said that she didn't remember what happened to his Sax or his 'Piccolo'. (I never knew that he played Piccolo until my step great grandmother told me. Too bad...I'd love to have it...
Wow! It sounds like we have a similar situation. It'd definitely be cool to know what ever happened to it, especially after all these years. If saxophones could talk..

1 - 20 of 24 Posts