Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good morning guy's. For those that have not yet seen my posts, I recently got back into music a little over 6 months ago. Prior to that I took 12 years off. I've been practicing religiously - Major scales, Minor scales, Dominant scales, Diminished scales, 1,3,5,7's chromatically up and down my horn for all those said scales ETC. Outside of this, I have "Approach notes from Chad LB" and a few months ago I picked up "Patterns for jazz" By Gary Campbell. I'm finishing page 33 as we speak:) This book is phenomenal! Between the countless hours on this book & all of my scale work my soloing has skyrocketed:)

Recently I feel like I've hit a brick wall so to speak. My Idea's are more or less the same when improvising, I'd like some fresh content, to stir things up a bit! Are there any other books you can recommend I purchase? -Game changers like Patterns For Jazz? I'm looking for Licks, Patterns, Scale variances in which I can practice daily to hammer into my psyche. Biggest thing will be phrases and licks using a chromatic approach so I can further understand how Brecker, Coltrane, Potter got their sound. I need some new material to practice, to further develop my talents.

I truly appreciate your help!

In addition, if you have Ideas on how I can expand my warm up practice, I'm all ears:)
Currently I do this

I practice my scales as follows
C, G, D, A.... I follow the cycle of 5th's and run up my horn to F# down to Bb. CMaj, Cdom, Cmin then I move to GMaj, Gdom, Gmin
After my scales I have a nice little warm up I like which is as follows - C-C running up, C# down to C# running down, D - D running up, Eb to Eb running down. After I alternate running C-C down, C# to C# running up. The entire thing is one smooth transition. Always with a metronome.

I then run my 1,3,5,7's (What would I call this?) C, E, G, B, G, E, then C#, F, A, C, A, F, down to D and continue all the way up to B. I then run down from B back to C doing this. First I do Major 1,3,5,7. After I do Dom 1,3,5,7, finally I do Min 1,3,5,7.

Without proper guidance I have only figured this much out. I'm looking to start private lessons in a month's time, I know that will help! Until then, I'm hoping you guys can help:)

P:S - I recently found Expansions by Gary Campbell on Amazon. I've placed my order, but there all sold out:( Any other books I should be getting for my practice?

·
SOTW Member
3,394 Posts
Slonimsky

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2015-
33,500 Posts
“Building a Jazz Vocabulary” - Mike Steinel

“The Serious Jazz Practice Book” - Barry Finnerty

·
Registered
521 Posts
Many players are using my book "Easy Easy Bebop" to learn and teach Jazz licks and phrases in a fun and easy to remember method. If you're not familiar with the book it's available on amazon as a Paperback and Kindle version. My method makes it fun to "Sing Da Bebop" thru your instrument.
"Easy Easy Bebop".

·
Registered
2,994 Posts
Get one of these: https://www.amazon.com/Song-Writing...F78KR2YN0ZR&psc=1&refRID=N037ASR8VF78KR2YN0ZR

Every day, take a lick and write it down on the right hand page. Then practice it in all 12 keys. Use the left hand page to keep a note of the lick's source ("Stole this from Chris Potter", "Made this up myself", etc.) and the date(s) that you practiced it. Maybe keep track of your metronome/drum machine settings...

1 - 6 of 6 Posts