Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
1,566 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey guys I'm back with some readjusted requirements and a reality check. So check it out.

I'm in my junior year of high school and I'm starting to look at schools.

I've been having trouble finding schools that fit what I want in a school. I've been looking online and in Princeton review books. My requirements are:

Liberal Arts school or something that follows along the liberal arts education idea in Ohio or the East Coast.
Great jazz program
good History program
Can be any size though the smaller the better. The biggest I'm looking at is NYU
small(ish) class sizes
A nice study abroad program
Fairly large Jewish population maybe? Marty? Anyone?

Grades aren't a problem. I've got a 4.1 with multiple honors and AP courses with no unacademic courses. I'm also involved with many extracurricular activites including multiple music groups, and academic groups such as National Honors Society, Freshmen Mentor Program, plus others. Also, money is not a problem so this opens my options a bit.

So far my number #1 for the past few years has been Oberlin College. Sort of a stretch, but I have the grades and the alumni for it.
#2 is NYU. I'm in San Francisco this week and I have a new found love with cities so this school is up there.
#3 is Lawrence University. Small and I have some close family there.

My parents want me to find 5 schools I'd be interested in. I only have three. Can anyone help me with the other two? Also for the Ohio people here, I need a backup school here in Ohio I'd have no problem getting into..any suggestions?

Thanks!

Also, I'm visiting Boston in January..any schools to check there? I have tours with Berklee and New England but they don't have any history things.

My overall plan (at the encouragement of my parents) is to eventually get my masters in education and teach history on a lower education level. Constant Salary+good benefits+3 months a year off is a huge plus. Also, teaching little kids would give me a lot of time outside of school to gig.

·
Registered
1,566 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
martysax said:
Go where the girls are best.
:( My dad said the same thing. Does our people only have one set of jokes? :D

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
I don't really know anything about the history program, but Youngstown State has an AWESOME saxophone / jazz department (Dr. James Umble is the classical guy).

Again, I know nothing of the history department, but Baldwin-Wallace College has a great sax professor in Greg Banaszak. BW, however, is affiliated with the United Methodist Church. I don't know how important "no religious affiliation" is to you.

Bowling-Green has another great classical sax program with Dr. John Sampen. I also have a close friend who is majoring in history and he has nothing but good things to say about the history department.

If you want to talk more about about sax schools in Ohio or nearby, PM me and we can talk. Good luck!

·
Prodigal Son and Forum Contributor 2008
10,794 Posts
jacobeid said:
:( My dad said the same thing. Does our people only have one set of jokes? :D
Your father and I probably have a lot in common.

I've said this before on similar threads: the school you choose could most likely effect your life determining decisions. This decision will most likely determine your friends, girlfriends, forms of regression, foods to eat, places to live, etc.......

If you go to a place filled with nice but homely girls, you will most likely end up with one of them.

You will do what you need to do no matter where you attend school. Why not do it with nicer girls?;)

·
Registered
1,566 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
martysax said:
Your father and I probably have a lot in common.

I've said this before on similar threads: the school you choose could most likely effect your life determining decisions. This decision will most likely determine your friends, girlfriends, forms of regression, foods to eat, places to live, etc.......

If you go to a place filled with nice but homely girls, you will most likely end up with one of them.

You will do what you need to do no matter where you attend school. Why not do it with nicer girls?;)
You and my father are exactly alike. We are probably distantly related.

·
The most prolific Distinguished SOTW poster, Forum
27,650 Posts
jacobeid said:
You and my father are exactly alike. We are probably distantly related.
Abraham, perhaps? :D

Sorry couldn't resist. Shofar, so good.

And tell me - if one is on a 4.0 system, how can one have a 4.1? i'm not good at maths, but...

·
Registered
1,566 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
gary said:

And tell me - if one is on a 4.0 system, how can one have a 4.1? i'm not good at maths, but...
AP and honors classes are on a 5.0 weighted grade scale. That is to say, in a normal class where an A is worth a 4.0, in an AP or Honors class, an A is worth a 5.0.

·
Prodigal Son and Forum Contributor 2008
10,794 Posts
gary said:

That reminds me, we are entering the time of year that everyone wants to drive a limousine for us.

(Sorry Jake, I didn't mean to totally hijack this thread.)

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
4,147 Posts
IU fits everything on there except for the small class size part - sort of. Plus, you can't minor in jazz studies, but you can take David Baker's classes, which is better than minoring in jazz at another school.

·
Registered
138 Posts
jacobeid said:
Good music school (I'll be minoring in jazz studies)

I'll offer what little advice I can: If you're set on minoring in jazz studies, keep in mind that that's pretty specific. First off, check that the school has a jazz studies major, and more importantly, check that one can minor in it. You'd be surprised how many schools, ones with small music programs, don't offer music minors at all.

You probably already knew that, but I'm just throwing it out there.

I can't offer that much more advice because I don't know too many schools in the midwest/east coast...other than Indiana, Ithaca, Northwestern, Bowling Green, etc., the big saxophone places.

Oberlin is a great school though! You'd be set on the music part. I know they have a strong double-degree program, in which one can get a degree in music and another academic subject. I have a friend there who's getting degrees in trumpet and math. She's also studying in London right now, so they evidently have active study abroad programs!

I don't know about their history department at all, and I'm not sure about the music minor, but otherwise I know it's a good school and seems to fit all of your requirements.

Best of luck!

·
27,650 Posts
Let me throw a monkey wrench in the wheel - or open up your possibilities.

I don't know what the point would be in minoring in jazz and I think you might be limiting yourself with that kind of commitment. A minor doesn't really require that many more courses to get. In other words, you would likely be taking so few courses for that certification it would seem to me to be more fruitful to look at schools which have the other criteria you seek and then a school which also has a good jazz program because you can take those few courses which might otherwise be required in a jazz minor program, as electives.

The only possible advantage I could think of in seeking a certification as a jazz minor, would be in the educational field and I would be surprised if the minor alone would be significant. In other word, I cannot see how getting the piece of paper that officially says "jazz minor" is going to benefit you. It would seem better to just get in the big band and combos in whatever school you decide on and take a few jazz courses on the side.

·
Registered
504 Posts
I second Gary's wisdom. Western Michigan has an excellent jazz program (more or less our flagship) but a minor in Jazz is not available. However, as a music ed guy I have taken jazz theory and jazz arranging and have also played in both of our jazz bands plus the horn section for our vocal jazz ensemble. That constitutes the knowledge gained from any "minor," IMO.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
4,147 Posts
thejoyofsax said:
I second Gary's wisdom. Western Michigan has an excellent jazz program (more or less our flagship) but a minor in Jazz is not available. However, as a music ed guy I have taken jazz theory and jazz arranging and have also played in both of our jazz bands plus the horn section for our vocal jazz ensemble. That constitutes the knowledge gained from any "minor," IMO.

Yea, Indiana does not even offer a jazz minor. I know because I tried to get it. Have you considered double-majoring in jazz studies and somthing else? It is a great time commitment, but this way you could study with a big-name prof.

·
Registered
1,566 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I guess I should have stated my goals about my music career. I want to keep playing my whole life and become a good player. I do not want it as a career though. I want to become a history professor.

All of the schools people are recommending are great schools, but they aren't small (5,000 or under) liberal arts colleges besides Baldwin-wallace. Also, a great history program is more important than having a great jazz program. Any other schools fit my criteria? And yes, I am set on going to a very small selective liberal arts school. I've been to many large schools, and I really don't like the atmosphere.

Hopefully I'll get into Oberlin and be done with it. To clear up uncertainties, their history program is fantastic.

·
27,650 Posts
jacobeid said:
I guess I should have stated my goals about my music career. I want to keep playing my whole life and become a good player. I do not want it as a career though. I want to become a history professor.
Well, then young man, harrumph, why are you asking us? :D No doubt someone on the forum knows small, liberal arts schools in the north east with great history programs but, well... :?

I suggest you ask those in the know what schools have killer history programs and meet your other criteria, narrow your selections down, and then come back to us here with a specific list and ask forum members if anyone knows anything about the jazz/music programs at those particular schools. I think this might more helpful for you. I guess the way you asked the question (or the way some of us processed it) was kind of like coming at it from backwards.

·
Registered
1,566 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Sorry Gary, didn't mean to offend anyone. I just thought maybe some people would have any suggestions. I did get a PM about Lawrence University in Appleton, Wisconsin. A bit east of where I was looking, but it seems like a great school!

·
27,650 Posts
jacobeid said:
Sorry Gary, didn't mean to offend anyone. I just thought maybe some people would have any suggestions. I did get a PM about Lawrence University in Appleton, Wisconsin. A bit east of where I was looking, but it seems like a great school!
No offense taken (or given :D ) whatsoever, Jacob. I just mean that the majority of suggestions you are getting you are rejecting because they don't meet your criteria so it would be better to come up with a list of schools which do meet your criteria (absent the jazz angle) and then ask us what we know about those particular schools.

To be honest, I would personally find what you eventually come up with interesting. I like this kind of stuff. ;)

1 - 20 of 32 Posts