Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi
I have lended a Yamaha YSS-61 from the early eighties for some months by a friend of mine. Im offered to buy this sop for 800 USD. It needs at total overhaul. costing about 600 USD. total of 1500 USD

My other option is to buy a brand new Antigua 586 for considerably less money.. but its a taiwan horn....

what would you do?

thanks

Magne

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
14,305 Posts
Mark: I'd go with the new Antigua. I've owned a YSS62S (silver) and while it played nicely enough, I like my Antigua 590 better. DAVE

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Dave Dolson said:
Mark: I'd go with the new Antigua. I've owned a YSS62S (silver) and while it played nicely enough, I like my Antigua 590 better. DAVE
Thanks Dave...

Anyone else have some comments on the subject?

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
tjontheroad said:
My first rule.... Go with the horn that plays over the one that needs work.

Winner... Antigua
hmm, I see your point. Maybe its wrong of me to consider the yamaha a better horn than the antigua... If I saw the 2 horns as equal in quality the choise would be easy... are they?

·
Forum Contributor 2015, SOTW Better late than neve
4,273 Posts
The point is, you might find that after you put $600 dollars into the Yamaha it still isn't what you're after. For $1,500 you can find a lot of soprano that's in perfect working order.

·
Registered
957 Posts
I heard today a clip with a guy playing a 350 € Thomann soprano sax. It's amazing! Really nice sound and intonation! It's this model, but maybe the production is not regular and there maybe are some good and some bad ...
Here is the clip. The guy is only 19 years old .

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Technician
21,120 Posts
I agree with TJ as you will not know what the Yama is until fixed and even then, you will have a LOT of money in it.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
bruce bailey said:
I agree with TJ as you will not know what the Yama is until fixed and even then, you will have a LOT of money in it.
ok.... guess I'll get the Antigua then...
Here in Norway Taiwanese brands are not seen too often, only Selmer, Yama, Yani & a few Keilwerts....

Seems like sax.uk.com will get a call from me tomorrow then :)

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Technician
21,120 Posts
You may want to contact Kessler (at the top of this page) here in the US as he sells them to his friends here.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts