Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Dear All,
I have been playing the alto sax for more than two years and i want to try out the soprano.i am pretty confused on what sax to buy .my budget range is below $1000.i have read many reviews and finally have selected two of them for comparison the Antigua winds ss3286 and Rs Berkley ss522.i have read reviews about the two and both of them seem to be good.i request your expert and valuable advice on the same and i would go ahead with purchasing one of the same.

thanks and regards,
vimal

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
14,446 Posts
Have you been able to play each model OR are you considering buying it via the Internet and having it shipped? Where do you live?

If you live in the USA, then my recommendation would be the Antigua. I do not know the RS Berkeley line but I know the Antiguas - I own one (an earlier version of this latest model designation).

Most inexpensive saxophones are made in Asia these days - mainland China or Taiwan. I will assume the RS Berkeley is Asian-made - correct me if I'm wrong. They may be good, I don't know. The Antiguas are Taiwanese the last time I heard. Antiguas are a known item here on SOTW.

If buying in the USA, then Dave Kessler's shop is the one of the main reasons I recommend the Antiguas. He has sold those horns to many of us and very few, if any, have reported disappointment.

There are choices among the Antiguas - fixed-neck, removable necks, hi-G keying, lacquered brass, black nickel, etc. Mine is a 590LQ meaning it is lacquered brass and has the hi-G key. Its tone is slightly better than my three Yanagisawas (a subjective analysis, for sure) but the keywork is not as smooth as the Yanagisawas I own. Still, the model you cited (the one with dual necks and no hi-G - not a bad thing), should play very well, especially at their price. By the way, the finish does not matter. DAVE

·
2,309 Posts
I will second what Dave has said. And the Antigua's are made in their Taiwan manufacturing plant.
Close to two years ago now I went on a 3 month play testing endeavor to look for a soprano to replace my MK VI, after trying out all the majors and then several of the major Taiwan manufactures I chose the Antigua, the only horn that actually played better was the Yanagisawa and for the amount I was going to use it, I did not want to put that much money into it. The more I've performed and recorded with the Antigua the more I have been very pleased with it.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks Dave,
i live in India and a friend of mine who lives in the USA (st louis ) will get the same for me.he has ver little knowledge on the music.hence i want to make sure i get the right one .i had decided upon the RS berkeley when found the antigua and the reviews on the forum also have impressed me and that is where i got confused and it is just a differece of $100 which i can afford.i will take ur advice for sure and will keep u posted on the same.
The RS berkely horns are made in china i believe and their virtuoso model seem to have a very good review i have not found similar review for the SS522in this forum.on the other hand the Antiguas have a nice collectiion of phots and have good reviews too.i would be also glad if some one can find me a shop in st louis where i can get the Antigua ss3286 on hand instead of an email order.
thanks
vimal

·
14,446 Posts
At least go to Kessler's site (he is a site sponsor) and peruse his offerings. I think there may be some photos there of the various instruments he sells. If not, the descriptions are good.

It well could be that Kessler could ship the horn to your friend, but you'd have to arrange that with the Kesslers. It may appear that I am a shill for the Kessler stores - I am not. I just like their operation and have purchased several instruments from them over the years - some sight-unseen and some directly at his store. All have been set up well by his shop before I bought them - a critical point in buying a new saxophone. A new saxophone must be shop-checked before being sold.

Also, you may want to have Kessler include his Kessler Custom soprano mouthpiece (I posted a comment about that in the soprano mouthpiece threads a while back). Sure, there are many good pieces out there but having a good one included with the horn will make it that much easier to play. I don't know what comes with the Antigua these days, but I did not use the one that came with mine. I have better ones. DAVE

·
Registered
149 Posts
Try to serch on the web to see how many good reviews for each brands. Hate to sound like a prejudice, but one is rated the best choice in that price range, and another is hardly heard at all.

Of course, it is your choice, your money, No one can tell you what to do.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.