Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi i am vardi, im new in this forum and website and i wes hoping for some help in the mouthpiece area.
im playing the saxophone for a few years now but i left my teacher half a year ago and i need some serious advice because i dont want to make the wrong choice.
so heres the thing:
i have a conn naked lady from 1933(a really great saxophone!!).
until now i was playing an ESM mouthpiece 7 star that gave me a pretty sharp sound and lately i feel that i need a different sound, i dont really know how to describe it and hopefully someone could help me.
i am in a conflict between 2 mouthpieces:
the new otto link "vintage" and a lebayle wooden MWT, they are both 8 star.
i play a V16 number 3 reed but i was recomended to use a stronger reed with the wooden mpc, something like a lavouz medium hard.
if anyone can tell me what is the general difference between the two and maybe a more specific difference, wich one is better in his opinion, why is it better, wich one requires more work why and what sound can i get from each one.
anything you can tell me about the mpc's to help me make up my mind will be blessed, thank you for your help!

·
Registered
1,359 Posts
hi i am vardi, im new in this forum and website and i wes hoping for some help in the mouthpiece area.
im playing the saxophone for a few years now but i left my teacher half a year ago and i need some serious advice because i dont want to make the wrong choice.
so heres the thing:
i have a conn naked lady from 1933(a really great saxophone!!).
until now i was playing an ESM mouthpiece 7 star that gave me a pretty sharp sound and lately i feel that i need a different sound, i dont really know how to describe it and hopefully someone could help me.
i am in a conflict between 2 mouthpieces:
the new otto link "vintage" and a lebayle wooden MWT, they are both 8 star.
i play a V16 number 3 reed but i was recomended to use a stronger reed with the wooden mpc, something like a lavouz medium hard.
if anyone can tell me what is the general difference between the two and maybe a more specific difference, wich one is better in his opinion, why is it better, wich one requires more work why and what sound can i get from each one.
anything you can tell me about the mpc's to help me make up my mind will be blessed, thank you for your help!
Hi Vardi
Welcome to SOTW. I am not sure about any of the above M.P's but it looks like you want to come over to the dark side. First of all the V16 reed is very bright and for me "not nice!"
Why are you moving up from a 7* to an 8*? and why are you only looking at just two other M.P's . There are some others such as the Jody Jazz H.R. that are so,so worth trying-out.

Regards

ManEast

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Forum Contributor 2009
7,867 Posts
IMHO if you're only playing for a few years an 8* piece is simply too big. Stick with the 7 opening and learn to control every aspect of your sound with it, anywhere on the horn.
Lebayles are great BTW, very good pieces.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I tried other mouthpices but in the end i focused on those two.
i admit that maybe my range of search was to small and i might take your advice and go back to check other mpc's.
is there any mpc you would recommend and why? what in the sound you like, any way thanks!
and do you know about the sound differences between a hard rubber and a wooden mpc?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
whats IMHO and BTW? and as far as the 8* its okay, I believe that im strong enough to deal that size.
I need some specific information about the difference between a rubber mpc to a wooden one in sound qualities, what sound each mpc gets out, which mpc needs more work and why?
the more information ill get the better my decission will be.
every little bit of information will be great, thanks!

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
2,640 Posts
Some say material in a mouthpiece doesn't effect the sound some say it does. All that aside I would stay away from wood mouthpieces. I just don't think they will last as long. Lebayles are quality pieces. Maybe try looking at a brass model.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts