Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
**please, if this is not the right place for this post, I'm sorry, it's hard when you do not speak English!**

hello friend,

so, I'm new here, my name is Michael live in Brazzil, I am a musician and I play amadorr only musical group in church.

look, I recently bought a Vandoren mouthpiece for bass sax in saxquest.com

when I took the mouthpiece had a disappointment, compared with my bari sax mouthpiece, they are IDENTICAL looking at my hand.

as I am VERY amadorr then I can not tell if you have technical difference between them, can someone tell me if there are differences?

I looked at http://www.mouthpieceexpress.com

there has mouthpieces Selmer C / C * and C **, rent can tell me something about these mouthpieces? they have a camera or bass sax is the same as the Vandoren bari sax?

good, I look for a soft sound and dark, very simple play scores only accompaniments then, like smooth, dark sound!

can someone give me a good mouthpiece I can get this kind of music? I use straw vadoren No. 3, contrabass clarinet!

I have a bass sax IW661.

any help would be appreciated!

thank you!

Michael

PS1: Sorry for the long post!
PS2: sorry for mistakes in the writing, I use an online translator

·
Distinguished Colorful Mouthpiece Designer
1,019 Posts
Hi Michael,
time ago someone told me Vandorens Bass are simply Bari mouthpieces with a larger rear bore. I never saw one so I cannot confirm but if you also say it I will start thinking it is true. If you need an amazing Bass mouthpiece which looks and plays as a real Bass mouthpiece with the right external and internal proportions contact me in pvt. All the best,

Stan

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
861 Posts
Welcome.
I've had my Bass less than a year. Much of what I have learned came from this helpful source:
http://bassic-sax.ca/blog/
Helen K is the owns the site and would probably be interested in your experience with the International Woodwinds Bass, she is also a moderator here.

I tried a VanDoren and sent it back. I did a comparision of the external measurements vs the Bari and posted it on the Woodwind forum.

After trying 2 Bass mouthpieces and 3 modified Baris, I have gone with a Runyon 88 Bari #5 with the facing increased to 29 - 30 mm, with a fibracell 1.5 and the lig that comes with the Runyon.

·
1,019 Posts
Can you confirm what people say about vandorens? Which other bass mouthpieces have you tried? It is much better in my opinion to use a real Bass sax mouthpiece with a smaller internal chamber instead of a modified Bari. Everything depends on which kind of Bass sax you are playing... they are all different. To me "custom made" is the real and only solution.

Stan

·
861 Posts
Can you confirm what people say about vandorens? Which other bass mouthpieces have you tried? It is much better in my opinion to use a real Bass sax mouthpiece with a smaller internal chamber instead of a modified Bari. Everything depends on which kind of Bass sax you are playing... they are all different. To me "custom made" is the real and only solution.

Stan
Last summer I compared the VanDoren with my modified Runyon, using calipers.
I looked everywhere but I can't find the post. I don't remeber any huge differences.

Anyway, you may be right, I can only speak from my limited experience. I've been told that in the old days mouthpieces were marked "Bari/ Bass mouthpiece". It seems odd that the Bari would work better than a piece designed for the Bass, but I'm pleased with the Runyon. I have Bari pieces that take Tenor ligs.

The pieces I tried were the Van Doren Bass, the Bass piece that came new with the Sax, the previous owner's modified Selmer Bari, and the modified Runyon 88's: #5 and #7.

·
1,019 Posts
Thank you, Bari mouthpieces can perform very well on some Bass saxophones but I belive Bass/Bass is in any case the right combo :)

Stan

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

Stan
Hello Stan,

I have not compared them using a caliper but looking at my hands are alike!

put up (and played) the mouthpiece of "bass saxophone"in my bari
served perfectly in the neck bari sax!

I think maybe the inner chamber is a bit bigger!

Vadoren reeds for bass sax are also identical to the bari sax, also bought a bass and compared with the bari!

I sent an mp for you!
thanks!

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Welcome.
I've had my Bass less than a year. Much of what I have learned came from this helpful source:
http://bassic-sax.ca/blog/
Helen K is the owns the site and would probably be interested in your experience with the International Woodwinds Bass, she is also a moderator here.

I tried a VanDoren and sent it back. I did a comparision of the external measurements vs the Bari and posted it on the Woodwind forum.

After trying 2 Bass mouthpieces and 3 modified Baris, I have gone with a Runyon 88 Bari #5 with the facing increased to 29 - 30 mm, with a fibracell 1.5 and the lig that comes with the Runyon.
hello Bary Guy

Thanks for the welcome!

so, I know helen's blog, I visit every day looking for new information!

this blog has been VERY helpful to me!

I already sent some e-mails to Helen, he always gives me a lot of attention!

good on the mouthpieces, I'm a musician so amadorr not know much about mouthpieces, just look for a model that I can have a smooth, dark sound!

as in bari I got this sound by using a V5 + Vandoren Traditional # 3

I bought this bass sax V5 for thinking that this could sound.

but when they arrived and saw that I compared the same thing, I was disappointed!

as I said, looking at http://www.mouthpieceexpress.com/

there I found the S80 C / C * / C ** for bass sax ...

I wonder if they are to bass sax or even as the Vandoren, or bari sax are adapted for bass sax!?

well, this is it ...

I appreciate your help!

Michael

ps:please forgive me for any errors or word that sounds strange, I use online translator!

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thank you, Bari mouthpieces can perform very well on some Bass saxophones but I belive Bass/Bass is in any case the right combo :)

Stan
stan,

I sent an email to you here at SOTW!

tried to send a mp but I'm not allowed because my account is new! (I think)

Michael

·
1,019 Posts
Sorry Michael my email here was out of date... now I've corrected it.
Please try again, thank you.
I will probably read it tomorrow, here it is a bit late ;)

Stan

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
hello friends,

I'm here again.

so, I was now seeing some videos on youtube ...
I found two videos that show two types of sounds in bass sax.

in the video below has a sax down with a sound that to me is how I want have (I know my bass is not a vintage sax but I wanted to reach at least near a sound like that)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mNoLv1sOh0k

in that other video, to 3.34min. has a bass saxophone with a sound I not like and I'll try not to take in my bass sax:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BSGOTo-uQ4I&feature=related

so,thanks for help me!!

Michael

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Sorry Michael my email here was out of date... now I've corrected it.
Please try again, thank you.
I will probably read it tomorrow, here it is a bit late ;)

Stan
Hello Stan,

do not worry about time! you answer me when you can!

just sent another email through the link in your profile!

Look, if it does not work this time, you could send me a pvt or email, as this site is in English, I have some difficulties!

Thank you!

MIchael

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Saxtek,

where are you? I know you can help us here!

can you tell me if the S80 Selmer mpc for bass sax is like at Vandoren which is actually the bari sax but as sold for bass sax?

I have read quite a lot and I think you wrote very interesting!

have also watched your video on YT!

Michael

·
861 Posts
[/ATTACH]

Hi Michael,

Above shows the difference between a VanDoren Bari Reed (Left), and a VanDoren Bass reed (right). They are the same size, the vamp is longer on the Bass (plus it costs 2x as much).

Attachments

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
[/ATTACH]

Hi Michael,

Above shows the difference between a VanDoren Bari Reed (Left), and a VanDoren Bass reed (right). They are the same size, the vamp is longer on the Bass (plus it costs 2x as much).
yes, you're right!I just go look at my reeds and it's just the way you show the picture!

I apologize for the mistake but as I said, I'm a very amateurr player!

so, if we look at the side of the reeds are different,what we say of mouthpiece?

as I said, looking at in hand, are identical! but then may be differences in the inner chamber,right?

but to have a real acoustic bass sax,besides being larger, the chamber would have to be more longer too,right?

and what about the S80?

thanks for the help you've given me!

Michael

ps: in Bari, I started playing with contrabass clarinet reeds, I thought the sound pleased me more!

someone else makes use of reed contrabass clarinet on sax?

·
Distinguished SOTW Coffee Guru
40,416 Posts
I did buy a Legere contrabass clarinet reed to fit a very wide B75 Vandoren which was never clear to me whether it was for Baritone or Bass since it appeared to be wider than any baritone reed on the market (including Vandorens!) , the Legere contrabass clarinet reed would just be a little short and in the meantime they have now produced Bass saxophone reeds which are as wide but longer.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I did buy a Legere contrabass clarinet reed to fit a very wide B75 Vandoren which was never clear to me whether it was for Baritone or Bass since it appeared to be wider than any baritone reed on the market (including Vandorens!) , the Legere contrabass clarinet reed would just be a little short and in the meantime they have now produced Bass saxophone reeds which are as wide but longer.
hello,

Thanks for answering me!

I never used Legere reeds, I try them ...

I'll buy one the next purchase I'll make this month in the wwbw store !

Then you advise me to buy Legere bass sax own? will be better than the cane to contra clarinet?

thanks again!

MIchael

·
Distinguished SOTW Coffee Guru
40,416 Posts
A proper bass reed should be longer than a contrabass clarinet reed , now legere also makes bass reeds. Some people like synthetic more than they like cane and otherwise.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Bass Sax Boss
1,833 Posts
Saxtek,

where are you? I know you can help us here!

can you tell me if the S80 Selmer mpc for bass sax is like at Vandoren which is actually the bari sax but as sold for bass sax?

I have read quite a lot and I think you wrote very interesting!Michael
The exterior of the Selmer bass sax mouthpiece is the same as the baritone mouthpiece. Inside, the bass mouthpiece is hollowed out more, especially toward the back of the chamber. I have never measured the facings. Selmer bass sax mouthpieces use baritone sax reeds.

My own opinion about bass sax mouthpieces is different than many others. I used baritone sax mouthpieces (Otto Link hard rubber and M.C. Gregory), for years. They are louder and play more easily. However, when playing difficult passages with large intervals, especially over the register change, baritone mouthpieces can become problematic. Some times they "choke" on the low notes, and the bad notes, such as middle and high C natural, are worse than when you play a bass mouthpiece. Changing the facing length doesn't help much.

Also, the small chamber bass mouthpieces made from the Runyon blanks get really flat in the extreme low register below the staff, in my experience. Those notes on bass sax are too important to put up with intonation problems.

If you are honking out roots and fifths in a loud band, a baritone mouthpiece might be your best bet, especially one with a more open chamber like a Link. If you have to play technical parts in tune, I'd advise a bass mouthpiece, like a Zinner or even an ancient large chamber bari mouthpiece modified by someone experienced with bass sax pieces, like Erik Greiffenhagen of the mouthpiece guys.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts