Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I'm a freshman in high school and it's honestly hard marching with the bari sax. I think it might be a bit harder for me because I'm a pretty small girl with not a lot of strength whatsoever. I'm 5'1", my hands are tiny, and I don't have a lot of upper body strength, so it gets tiring when I have to do horns up.

I'm marching with a low A horn, and I've tried marching with both a harness and a neck strap. I prefer the neck strap much more. It is a heavy instrument, but it doesn't hurt or bother me when marching.

With this information in mind, what kind of tips and help can you give me when marching with the bari sax? I'm getting pretty desperate :( I love playing and marching with it, but my dad is saying it's just too big for me.

Thanks! :)

·
Registered
82 Posts
when I'm marching with baritone I prefer harness, but usually I do not have time to wear and regulate it so I use neck strap.
I can't find specific suggestions apart trying to remain the most relaxed possible with a straight natural position of your back. control your shoulders and neck and do not let them bend ahead.
finally whenever possible I remove the instruments from the hook and rest it, delicately, with the lower elbow only, on my foot or on the ground. ready to pick it up again and play.

·
Distinguished SOTW Coffee Guru
41,440 Posts
welcome to SOTW.

This is the most important resource site on saxophone related subjects and has collected, in all the years, a number of threads with a wealth of knowledge in its archives far superior to anyone starting one new thread on an old matter, which, believe it or not, came up before many many times as experienced from other bari saxophone players seeking to marching this type of horn and dealing with the associated problems.

Here a few of the threads dealing with them, my advise to you is to read them and in future to look up the resident search engine before starting a new thread on an old and common problem, this helps future searches to deal with less threads and concentrates information instead of diluting it.

Good Luck. ( This is the general search that I’ve run for the terms Marching Bari it returns 1770 hits I will select a fe relevant ones from this search here http://www.saxontheweb.net/Resource...www.saxontheweb.net/&ref=&ss=7689j13710253j20)

http://forum.saxontheweb.net/showthread.php?139212-HELP-Marching-Bari

http://forum.saxontheweb.net/showthread.php?91465-Ahhh!-Marching-bari

http://forum.saxontheweb.net/showthread.php?61828-Marching-a-bari

http://forum.saxontheweb.net/showthread.php?82934-marching-with-a-bari-sax

http://forum.saxontheweb.net/showthread.php?229146-Help-with-marching-Bari

There are MANY more...

·
Registered
6,615 Posts
At 14 or 15 is a good time to start doing some general strength and flexibility training. It will pay dividends throughout life, in many ways beyond just carrying the baritone sax.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2015-
34,587 Posts
I'm a freshman in high school and it's honestly hard marching with the bari sax. I think it might be a bit harder for me because I'm a pretty small girl with not a lot of strength whatsoever. I'm 5'1", my hands are tiny, and I don't have a lot of upper body strength, so it gets tiring when I have to do horns up.

I'm marching with a low A horn, and I've tried marching with both a harness and a neck strap. I prefer the neck strap much more. It is a heavy instrument, but it doesn't hurt or bother me when marching.

With this information in mind, what kind of tips and help can you give me when marching with the bari sax? I'm getting pretty desperate :( I love playing and marching with it, but my dad is saying it's just too big for me.

Thanks! :)
I agree with your father. I'd be concerned that you could be setting yourself up for injury and permanent damage.

I have a daughter that is a year younger than you, and even though she is 5'10", I would dissuade her from marching with a bari.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Jazzlab Saxholder? I generally prefer a harness on bari but I have used my saxholder during long brass band type shows.

With the harnesses it's important to get it properly fit so to avoid unnecessary stress. I've found this a lot harder than it sounds as there are so many adjusters on these things, but it's well worth the time.

·
Banned
94 Posts
For whatever it's worth, one of my former sax teachers is a woman about your size and she marched with a bari through her college years. So I think you can probably find a way to adapt to it.

When I was marching with bari, I used an over-the-shoulder strap called Spinstrap; not sure if they still make them, but it's a lot more comfortable than a neck strap and takes all the weight on the shoulder, not the neck. More recently, I've started using the Jazzlab Saxholder somebody else mentioned, and it's really nice. I haven't had occasion to march using this device, but I think it would probably help. Good luck!

JL

PS -- Don't let the Search Police get you down; running searches on this site is a major headache.

·
Grafton + TH & C alto || Naked Lady 10M || TT soprano || Martin Comm III
30,100 Posts
Jazzlab Saxholder? I generally prefer a harness on bari but I have used my saxholder during long brass band type shows.

With the harnesses it's important to get it properly fit so to avoid unnecessary stress. I've found this a lot harder than it sounds as there are so many adjusters on these things, but it's well worth the time.
The Saxholder for me would be the only solution. I hate harnesses, so the Saxholder is less restricting and spreads the weight better.

·
Registered
495 Posts
Hello,

Been there. Try to let your thighs take as much weight as possible (yes, it is possible).

I have a niece who is even smaller than you. At 14 she insisted on marching with her bass clarinet - and did so. Being stubborn helps a lot.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thank you so much for all of the replies! Since there are a lot I'll just respond to all of them in general here.

My experience with my harness was pretty bad, so I guess that's why I was so against using it. It was pretty much super tight and that made it very hard to do my slides. I couldn't even play the music while marching because it was so tight and hard to do slides. After the show tomorrow, I'll consider getting fitted for a harness and/or trying that Jazzlab Saxholder. And because I know I'm going to have trouble if I don't, I will do some exercising and training that'll help me.

My dad is trying to get me to switch to alto, but it honestly really isn't my thing. I prefer big instruments and playing the low parts in music much more, so switching isn't an option for me.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Been there. Try to let your thighs take as much weight as possible (yes, it is possible).

I have a niece who is even smaller than you. At 14 she insisted on marching with her bass clarinet - and did so. Being stubborn helps a lot.
Thanks for the advice! Sorry, but can you please elaborate on how I can let my thighs take as much weight as possible? I'll experiment during practice.

That's really cool! Marching with bass clarinet seems harder than marching with bari sax to me. And yes, being stubborn does really help. I'm pretty stubborn with this, so I'm still surviving and doing alright in my marching band.

·
Registered
495 Posts
Thanks for the advice! Sorry, but can you please elaborate on how I can let my thighs take as much weight as possible? I'll experiment during practice.

That's really cool! Marching with bass clarinet seems harder than marching with bari sax to me. And yes, being stubborn does really help. I'm pretty stubborn with this, so I'm still surviving and doing alright in my marching band.
Explaining - I'll try (it came naturally to me, so I may be a bit vague).

First - without playing go slowly forward. If you play with the bari on the right side, try to make the low part of the bari rest on your thigh when your right foot is in front. When you put your left foot forwards, the bari will hang from the harness. So it is a two-step cycle: Right leg in front, letting your thigh take part of the weight; left foot in front, all the weight on the harness.

The harness should not be too tight, it will hinder your breathing. And you really need to breathe when marching even when you are not playing. I still remember the slope up to the castle in Oslo - having marched and played for 3 km (due to the sheer number of people in the 17. may parade, it took almost an hour to do that stretch), we dreaded the majorette's signal to begin playing at the foot of that slope!

·
Registered
47 Posts
Explaining - I'll try (it came naturally to me, so I may be a bit vague).

First - without playing go slowly forward. If you play with the bari on the right side, try to make the low part of the bari rest on your thigh when your right foot is in front. When you put your left foot forwards, the bari will hang from the harness. So it is a two-step cycle: Right leg in front, letting your thigh take part of the weight; left foot in front, all the weight on the harness.

The harness should not be too tight, it will hinder your breathing. And you really need to breathe when marching even when you are not playing. I still remember the slope up to the castle in Oslo - having marched and played for 3 km (due to the sheer number of people in the 17. may parade, it took almost an hour to do that stretch), we dreaded the majorette's signal to begin playing at the foot of that slope!
I usually volunteer for the 4 hour non-stop torture marches to work on my endurance and posture. We go about 10 miles. I am about 6 foot, not built that heavily, but I march bari, am a sophomore in HS. Besides doing some strength training, which I could honestly use, work on MASSIVE air output. I march a Berg Larsen 130/2 mouthpiece, and I manage to scrounge up boxes of about 5 size 5 reeds for 80$, which even then is still a little soft for me. I personally have to march neck strap, as horn moves are something that I take personally, and honestly overdo, going for same horn angles as the trombones. While I might be a special case in terms of lungs, I would still aim to achieve size 3 or more on a more open mouthpiece. It shuts up naysayers quickly once they realize you put more than 5 liters of air through your horn at Forte per minute with my setup (at low C at least), or some number you don't want to know at Fortissississimo (the common ending dynamic for the end of our closers in the show). You may not be 'big' enough, but if you can back it with tons of air while marching, nobody else is more fit. :)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts