Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently bought a pre-owned alto saxophone.
It was spray painted, and I have managed to scrape away the layers on some parts.

I have discovered a name on the side of the bell: Palmer.
Under the logo (if I can call it that) there is another line: Designed by American Technicians.

Do you guys know this brand and what the experience/quality is?

Is there a manufacturer's site available where I can get some support info?
I need to replace the pads also, so that's why I am looking for the manufacturer's site.

Thanks in advance,

·
Distinguished SOTW Member and Champion of the C-Me
2,057 Posts
Before someone else not quite as diplomatic as me gives you the (not necessarily, but probably...) bad news, can I ask, does it play enough in its current state for you to assess whether it's - purely in terms of playability - really worth the expense of new pads ?

Any money you invest in this horn is probably never ever going to be realized if you sell it. So you'd have to be doing it for love of the horn...

Here's a Palmer Tenor from ebay, rather optimistically priced, there is still a slideshow of pictures down in the actual listing part - in the 'description' section -
http://www.ebay.com/itm/TENOR-SAXOPHONE-PALMER-AMERICAN-TECHNICIAN-DESIGNED-/260792730101

Nice case tho' ! :bluewink:

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2016
18,207 Posts
Yes, that was tactfully put.

Bedde, welcome to the Forum. These are just one of the plethora of asian-made horns these days which have no reputation whatsoever.

Even in unpainted shape, the market value is negligible.

I do hope it really doesn't need a complete repad (although if the paint got on the pads, it does) because in that instance, the cost of having that done professionally is probably 4-5x the value of the sax; and you would be better off just taking that repad money and buying a horn which already plays with no problems.

BUT...you do NOT need pads from the mfr. to change pads. Pads are these generic sorta parts and they are not specific to a particular horn brand.

If you want to attempt to repad it yourself, then you may want to browse the Repair section and get some tips on the sort of resources you will need to try that. There is a learning curve to this, it isn't easy (it isn't terribly difficult for someone mechanically inclined, however) and you will need to invest in some proper tools (leak light, pad spatulas, proper screwdrivers, spring hooks, shellac, etc.) which also will not be an insignificant inve$tment.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts