Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am a newbie so please forgive. I am not sure where to post this. I have a Leblanc Alto Sax Model 100, Serial Number 549. It was my dad's. I have the original warranty card and sales receipt from 1963. I have the original case but really know nothing about saxophones so I was hoping someone could help me out in determining it's value. I have been holding onto this for so long, I am thinking instead of selling it to someone who has more appreciation for it. Any help is appreciated in figuring out what the value of it even is!! Thank you.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2015
2,460 Posts
price of vintage saxophones is depressed these days. a couple of years ago $1200 or more today $800 or $900. a lot depends on the condition of the instrument. Also the mouthpiece may or may not add value depending upon what it is.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hi Idexter,
I had serial number 671 when I was in high school and college. I very stupidly sold it to buy a Selmer. The Leblanc had a wonderful velvety tone which didn't work well for big band playing but was great for orchestra a solo work. New it cost $610. I'm not sure of the current values, but the $800 mentioned earlier seems a bit low. The instrument is a real bear to repair. It takes a really good repair man to keep it operating. I'd be interested in hearing more.
Mperk

·
Registered
4 Posts
I bought it in June of 1963 to take with me to Interlocken. I was very disappointed when I got it, because it had been damaged in shipping. It was indeed an alto. What I wouldn't give to get another.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2015
2,460 Posts
mperk

thanks.....

i added your info to my spread sheet. where do you live these days?

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
1,337 Posts
mperk, sit tight; a little patience and once/twice a week checking on ebay and you'll turn up another Leblanc alto...in the last year or so, these have kinda shown up in spurts, so just hang in there.

With the crappy economy, these are a hard sell for > $1000, unless in cream puff condition. That said, there was a fairly recent month when three or four of these popped within the same month.

On the positive side, even though there are not a lot of these still around, many are in really nice condition and just need a good repad/overhaul to be in tip top shape.

Very nice horns, too :)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts