Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My parents kept my sax from middle school - 1977. Of course I have it now. I have had trouble trying to ID it. The only number I could find is 140 X. Is this a Vito from 1970?

Thanks for the help!

·
Registered
242 Posts
That's pretty interesting. The engraving looks like the Beaugnier-era, but that bell to body brace is different. The right-hand bell-keys sort of look like the later Yamaha "Made in Japan" horns, but not really that either. This is the best serial number list I know of for the Vito mystery saxophones:

http://www.doctorsax.biz/vito_ser_nos.htm

I don't see anything in there referencing a serial number ending in X except when the owner doesn't want to provide the full serial number.

Does it say "Made in ???" or anything else on it? What does the left-hand pinky table look like? How about a close-up of that bell-to-body brace?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
There is no other writing I could find, no "made in xxxx". I have looked carefully. I have included three pictures you asked to see. The left-hand pinky table look like and a close-up of that bell-to-body brace. (I think)

·
Registered
242 Posts
Looks like it has the distinctive teardrop-shaped left-hand thumb rest that the Beaugniers had. If it's related to the later Yamaha Vito's it looks like they were trying to give it as many Beaugnier features as possible, and I sort of doubt that. It's amazing how many variations we see under the "Vito" name, and this seems to be another one. I agree the 'X' could indicate something...like "experimental".

1 - 5 of 5 Posts