Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I recently bought a Yamaha YAS-23 off craigslist. The guy told me it was only a few months old. It looks great but upon closer inspection when I got it home was that the stamped logo looked different from the logo I've seen on the YAS-23's you see on wwbw.com. I'm attaching a couple of pictures in hopes that someone can re-assure me that this is the real thing and not a fake. Also, the low notes are difficult to play. C and lower go into an octave higher a lot of the time. I can tweak my embouchure to get the notes to play correctly but it's a pain. Not sure if it is a leak somewhere or it's me. I had an inexpensive LJ Hutchens Alto Sax I bought on Amazon and didn't have any problems playing the low notes.

View attachment 27318 View attachment 27319 View attachment 27320

·
Registered
567 Posts
It looks like the real thing to me. They must have changed the logo stamp a little bit. The rest of it looks like a 23 for sure. Double check the octave key pip on the neck to make sure that it is all the way down when you are playing in the low register. It might be leaking a tiny bit.

·
Registered
389 Posts
Drop a leak light in it. You can get one for about $3 at Home depot. Or just go in a closet with a flashlight. Something's leaking.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
So I did some research and called Yamaha customer service. It looks like I got scammed. They ran the serial number for me and it is from October 2005. So much for trusting people. Now that I know it's almost 6 years old and not 3 months old, I'd better take it in to have it looked at. I'm sure some of the pads must be leaking.

·
Banned
1,812 Posts
So I did some research and called Yamaha customer service. It looks like I got scammed. They ran the serial number for me and it is from October 2005. So much for trusting people. Now that I know it's almost 6 years old and not 3 months old, I'd better take it in to have it looked at. I'm sure some of the pads must be leaking.
Pads can leak on a new sax so I would not feel too bad about it. Everyone does lie on Craigs list. At least it's really a Yamaha. Nice horn.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well there is a good ending to this story. I just returned from my local music store where they have a really good woodwind tech. He looked over my horn and told me that even though it is 6 years old, it looks like it's never been played. He said the pads are in mint condition. He put a leak light inside it and sure enough found not one but several keys that were leaking. The cool part is that he did all of this right in front of me so that I got a little experience in what a leaking pad looks like when using a leak light. The tune-up will only cost me $72.00. So, for a total of $472.00 I have a "nearly new" YAS-23. I'm happy. :)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts