Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I’ve got a curved Yani soprano that I’m trying to identify the model on. It’s serial is 237xxx. Left hand bell keys, removable neck, no model marking, metal thumb rest and hook, and a round neck strap ring. Bell engraving simply says the brand name. No “Elimona” marking. Here’s a few pics. Any help in sleuthing would be appreciated!
Musical instrument Reed instrument Saxophone Gold Brass instrument

Musical instrument Saxophone Reed instrument Dress Brass instrument

Musical instrument Photograph Reed instrument Wind instrument Woodwind instrument

Attachments

·
Registered
675 Posts
That looks to me like a 900 ... all the 880 curved sopranos I've seen had the in-line left hand palm keys (that I hate). But it's possible that later model 880's might have had the newer palm key layout - I've just never seen one (or I would have bought it).

Here is a 900 at Get-A-Sax (sold but pics are still there) for comparison. It has black, plastic left hand thumb rest though, so maybe yours is a newer/older one or slightly different model like a 901 maybe?

·
Registered
396 Posts
Looks like an SC-901 to me. The difference in appearance between it and the SC-900 being the metal thumbrests.

·
Registered
675 Posts
here's a 901 with the metal thumbrest for comparison:

·
Registered
396 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Looks like an SC-901 to me. The difference in appearance between it and the SC-900 being the metal thumbrests.
901 says it should have a fixed neck also. And the model should be engraved under the branding. I wonder if this horn is transitional in some way, or if the markings are not uniformly performed.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
here's a 901 with the metal thumbrest for comparison:
The table must be off in the post, or not inclusive of all the ways the horns were made. This sure looks like a twin of mine. And the serial number is right in range also. Thanks for the help!

·
Registered
396 Posts
901 says it should have a fixed neck also. And the model should be engraved under the branding. I wonder if this horn is transitional in some way, or if the markings are not uniformly performed.
I think you're reading about the straight sopranos.

·
Registered
27 Posts
This looks very much like my horn which has a plastic thumbrest and thumbhook instead of metal, and 00100,000 serial no. range. Same engraving, and in-line keys. Mine has a mark vi style left hand pinky table...cant tell from pictures if the OPs does as well. When I researched mine, seems like it was made around the same time as the straight S-6 series, but there is no official model number. I am guessing OPs is a slightly newer vintage, same no-name model perhaps?

·
Registered
5,815 Posts
This is clearly an SC901 -- correct keywork, correct thumb pieces, correct bell configuration, correct case, correct serial number range (I have an SC901B that's 251xxx). There's a lot of unnecessary guessing and uninformed speculation in this thread (fixed necks??). Let's not lead the OP astray.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts