Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
708 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey,

Someone is selling this Otto Link locally, which he says is from about 1965-1974. Since I don't know much about these mouthpieces, I'd like to ask you guys if you can help me if this seems correct and which type of Otto Link STM this is? I checked the Theo Wanne website, and it seems like it could be an early Babbitt with a wide tip. Do you agree? Is this a good thing? What would the value be normally?

View attachment 226778 View attachment 226780 View attachment 226782 View attachment 226784 View attachment 226786

4* is really small, but would it be a good idea to use something like this as a starting point for a refacing, opening it up to 7 or so? Should I just stick to new mouthpieces? :)

Regards,
M

·
Registered
790 Posts
Use MrPeeBee's chart from the first post in this thread https://forum.saxontheweb.net/showt...etal-quot-Otto-Link-Identification-quot-chart
Measure the tip width, 21mm instead of 18mm makes it a wide tip.

I happen to have a wide tip but with the facingnumber on the shank (yours is on the side) so mine doesn't follow the chart. Baffle looks the same as the one you posted. This was a 6 but the facing was messed up a bit when I got it and already measured larger. I had it cleaned up wich made it about a 7. Personally I would have preferred it to be 6 or 6* max but that's for me.

More knowledgeble STM players will chime in I'm sure.

·
Registered
708 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

·
Registered
144 Posts
This brings up a question I asked before, but didn't get an answer: WHERE is the tip width measured to determine if it is a wide tip? The tip is tapered. Front of the bite plate? Rear?

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Forum Contributor 2009
1,564 Posts
Yes early Babbitt. I prefer this vintage of Link at a 6 or 6* tip. At a 4*, factor in refacing costs.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
12,710 Posts
I dont know the price for that size but one 6 star and up can be five bills easily. Imdont keep up with the msrket closely but they are movig up like florida links. Then figure at least 150 for a reface.

Its a gamble, you maynspendna lot and not like it...or you may love it. Unlike new pieces you just cant return it.

·
Registered
708 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yes early Babbitt. I prefer this vintage of Link at a 6 or 6* tip. At a 4*, factor in refacing costs.
Thanks for the confirmation... How much do you think it's worth, factoring in reducing cost?

·
Registered
708 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I dont know the price for that size but one 6 star and up can be five bills easily. Imdont keep up with the msrket closely but they are movig up like florida links. Then figure at least 150 for a reface.

Its a gamble, you maynspendna lot and not like it...or you may love it. Unlike new pieces you just cant return it.
Phil, do you think an original 7 is worth more than a 4* refaced to 7? Generally speaking.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
12,710 Posts
yes, originals are always worth more and opening that far in many players opinion is to far. Im not saying it is but there is a clear perception of such.

The market isnsuchnfor Many reasons...if someone wants to reface it they can chose their favorite refacer and tip opening
When you reface you remove material
This limits what can do in the future to a piece as there is only so much metal to remove
Also there are hacks tht wreck mouthpieces so there is less trust
Lastly...well, its original. While that may not always mean its at its best but many believe so.
An original vi is worth more than a relaq...even a good job.

If you refinish antique furniture the same applies.

·
Registered
917 Posts
I could do with a good relaq myself.
Be careful. Informed viewpoint seems to be that a relac is an expenditure that is just not always the best way forward.

Say for example that the object of the potential relac was old, decrepit and way past its best. It may be best to just leave it as is.

No point in throwing good money at a lost cause.

Hopefully someone may take it on as a project and love it for what it is. A relic of better times.

Good luck.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Help needed! Is this an Early Babbitt STM? It’s all original and plays very well. Bought it for a hudred bucks, did I do ok? There is many more pics. Can you tell me more info on this, please? What do you think makes such a huge variation on (askings on ebay for example) prices with same model pieces, it’s like from 200 to 1200 bucks. Thanks!

·
Registered
Tenor: Eastman 52nd St, Alto: P. Mauriat 67RDK, Soprano: Eastern Music Curvy
4,782 Posts
Help needed! Is this an Early Babbitt STM? It’s all original and plays very well. Bought it for a hudred bucks, did I do ok? There is many more pics. Can you tell me more info on this, please? What do you think makes such a huge variation on (askings on ebay for example) prices with same model pieces, it’s like from 200 to 1200 bucks. Thanks!
Mr. Peebee already answered you in another thread, stating it is an Early Babbit STM - circa 1970s (Not from a Florida Blank - the most sought after).

·
Registered
40 Posts
But in this one there was a couple more general questions regarding these mouthpieces. My deepest apoligies for trying to raise some discussion. 😃

·
Registered
Tenor: Eastman 52nd St, Alto: P. Mauriat 67RDK, Soprano: Eastern Music Curvy
4,782 Posts
But in this one there was a couple more general questions regarding these mouthpieces. My deepest apoligies for trying to raise some discussion. ��
Sorry If I came across rude, just usually frowned upon to ask the same question in multiple locations. As to your other questions, there was a great answer earlier in the thread which shared this link:

https://forum.saxontheweb.net/showt...etal-quot-Otto-Link-Identification-quot-chart

Here you will find a chart which shows how to identify your mouthpiece from the others. As to the price variance, don't trust anything that people are selling them for - Only check the sold listings. Early Babbitt (EB) pieces have some variances over the years. The most valuable being the first EB pieces, which were made from the Florida blanks. These will fetch the highest price (1200 seems unreasonable though, I'd say 600-800 is top dollar for an EB). The later the year, the less valuable. Mr. Peebee stated he believed yours was from the late 70s, so it is more valuable than the 80s models and Transitional models. I would value it at about $400-500 (I reserve the right to be wrong). Good find.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Absolutely no problem and understandable. Propably should use search or look at already started topics, rather than searching with google and hitting the first promising link.
But thanks a bunch for some insight and opinions on the matter.
Thanks!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts