Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
708 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I'm talking to someone about buying a used YAS-62, but they don't know which model it is... They think they bought it in 2007, which I guess would mean it's likely a mark ii? However, I thought the neck was supposed to say G1 on it, which it doesn't (see picture below).

View attachment 215846

Are there any model numbers I should be careful about purchasing in terms of the YAS-62? I heard the G1 neck had some problems at some point, but I don't know if the 62 was affected.

I have the serial number, is it at all possible to deduce which model it is from that? They have the booklet it came with, and the receipt - maybe these would have some additional information? They said they can't find anything though.

Kind regards,
Malte

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
14,268 Posts
Malte: Welcome to SOTW. I am no Yamaha expert but I have owned a couple over time and played many more than that in hopes of buying one (which I eventually did, then soon thereafter, sold it back to the seller at his request).

I am one to not buy into Yamaha's constant model upgrades, at least as they'd have me believe those upgrades matter. A screw change here, a connecting rod there doesn't in my mind mean much about how I play the things.

It MAY mean something in saxophone design schools or to repair technicians, but those things are not my concern. "Does the horn play well?" is my concern. And I believe that most Yamahas, from beginner-level up to their high-end pro lines play well.

It is mostly the player and not the left-pinky table's adjustment system that matters. A few years ago, I was shopping at my local music store and the regional Yamaha rep was in the store. Both the manager and the rep tried to convince me that the II or III (whatever it was) version meant something but when I played the various examples, I sure couldn't hear or feel any differences other than what one would expect of different saxophones. They were adamant about it, though. I "argued" it with them, but no one's mind was changed. Marketing is a wonderful thing. DAVE

·
Registered
244 Posts
Hmmm...AFAIK, the necks after the Mark I were all stamped with either G1, V1, or "62". This neck appears to be post-Mark I since it has the gold Yamaha logo on the top of it. Wonder why it has no model designation...

·
Forum Contributor 2008-2017
351 Posts
Hi,

I'm talking to someone about buying a used YAS-62, but they don't know which model it is... They think they bought it in 2007, which I guess would mean it's likely a mark ii? However, I thought the neck was supposed to say G1 on it, which it doesn't (see picture below).

View attachment 215846

Are there any model numbers I should be careful about purchasing in terms of the YAS-62? I heard the G1 neck had some problems at some point, but I don't know if the 62 was affected.

I have the serial number, is it at all possible to deduce which model it is from that? They have the booklet it came with, and the receipt - maybe these would have some additional information? They said they can't find anything though.

Kind regards,
Malte
Well if it has a single right hand key guard that curves all the way around to the C key then it's a Mark I, early Mark I's had a purple Yamaha logo and non-tilting left hand pinky table, I believe some slightly later Mark I's had the engraved logo but still no tilting left pinky table, the last Mark I's still had the single right key guard, engraved logo , and tilting pinky table. If it has one key guard for B and Bb and a separate C key guard then it's at least a Mark II, I thought all Mark II's did have a G1 neck that was marked but this may have been a very early mark II if it doesn't. How does it play? Check it out with a tuner and if it plays in tune A and above the the neck is nothing to worry about.

·
Banned
566 Posts
serial# would be good.
the neck photo you have supplied looks like a G1 type neck without the stamp,and the logo on the octave lever of the neck also looks like a more modern 62,not the first series.
also the neck tenon where it says YAMAHA is not a series1.
personally i think the series1 are the best of the 62's.
serial# will tell alot.

·
Registered
708 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well if it has a single right hand key guard that curves all the way around to the C key then it's a Mark I, early Mark I's had a purple Yamaha logo and non-tilting left hand pinky table, I believe some slightly later Mark I's had the engraved logo but still no tilting left pinky table, the last Mark I's still had the single right key guard, engraved logo , and tilting pinky table. If it has one key guard for B and Bb and a separate C key guard then it's at least a Mark II, I thought all Mark II's did have a G1 neck that was marked but this may have been a very early mark II if it doesn't. How does it play? Check it out with a tuner and if it plays in tune A and above the the neck is nothing to worry about.
It has separate key guards, and since it was bought in 2007 (according to what I've been told) it really should be a mark II. I'm just very confused about the lack of any text on the crook...

I'll get to test play it on Saturday, so hopefully it sounds fine then. What do you think is a good price for this kind of horn? Is around $1'000 a decent price? Even if the neck doesn't say G1 :)

·
Registered
708 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
serial# would be good.
the neck photo you have supplied looks like a G1 type neck without the stamp,and the logo on the octave lever of the neck also looks like a more modern 62,not the first series.
also the neck tenon where it says YAMAHA is not a series1.
personally i think the series1 are the best of the 62's.
serial# will tell alot.
Thanks livingthedream. It really does seem to point towards Mark II, but for some reason the neck isn't labelled with a G1. I've sent an email to Yamaha, but no idea how quick they'll be in getting back to me. I will be able to test play (and decide if I want to buy it) on Saturday.

How can I use the serial number to tell the mark or the date of manufacture?

Regards,
Malte

·
Registered
708 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Malte: Welcome to SOTW. I am no Yamaha expert but I have owned a couple over time and played many more than that in hopes of buying one (which I eventually did, then soon thereafter, sold it back to the seller at his request).

I am one to not buy into Yamaha's constant model upgrades, at least as they'd have me believe those upgrades matter. A screw change here, a connecting rod there doesn't in my mind mean much about how I play the things.

It MAY mean something in saxophone design schools or to repair technicians, but those things are not my concern. "Does the horn play well?" is my concern. And I believe that most Yamahas, from beginner-level up to their high-end pro lines play well.

It is mostly the player and not the left-pinky table's adjustment system that matters. A few years ago, I was shopping at my local music store and the regional Yamaha rep was in the store. Both the manager and the rep tried to convince me that the II or III (whatever it was) version meant something but when I played the various examples, I sure couldn't hear or feel any differences other than what one would expect of different saxophones. They were adamant about it, though. I "argued" it with them, but no one's mind was changed. Marketing is a wonderful thing. DAVE
Dave,

Thanks for your comment, I 100% agree. The reason I'm asking is just because I don't want to buy a neck that isn't meant for the horn, or somehow get the wrong thing. I'm still not that familiar with different types of horns, so trying to be extra cautious when buying second hand!

Malte

·
Registered
708 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hm, my comment disappeared somehow... It has a split key guard, so everything is pointing towards a mark II. I'll be able to test play it on Saturday hopefully, and will bring a tuner.

What's the value, in your view, of such a horn - and should the lack of text on the crook be a general cause of concern?

Regards,
Malte

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2007-
7,134 Posts
Perhaps it’s a neck from a lesser model like a yas 23 or 52.

·
Registered
708 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

·
Distinguished SOTW Technician.
3,206 Posts
Is that a brass logo on the key? I thought they were on the 82 or 875 ? 62 has a black background, doesn't it?

·
Registered
708 Posts
Discussion Starter #15

·
Distinguished Member, Forum Contributor 2013-2016
7,889 Posts
Do you have a picture of the bell?

Some of the latest 62s don’t have a designation on the neck. IIRC, there was a version when they were switching the neck from “G1” to “62” when there was no designation. (The “62” neck is a hydroformed version of the G1 neck. The G1 that came with the 62 is different than the ones that came with the Custom horns, it wasn’t handmade like the Custom necks.)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
708 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Do you have a picture of the bell?

Some of the latest 62s don’t have a designation on the neck. IIRC, there was a version when they were switching the neck from “G1” to “62” when there was no designation. (The “62” neck is a hydroformed version of the G1 neck. The G1 that came with the 62 is different than the ones that came with the Custom horns, it wasn’t handmade like the Custom necks.)

View attachment 215920 View attachment 215922

I don't have more detailed ones than these, but can ask. Do you need to see the engravings?

Regards
Malte

·
Distinguished Member, Forum Contributor 2013-2016
7,889 Posts
View attachment 215920 View attachment 215922

I don't have more detailed ones than these, but can ask. Do you need to see the engravings?

Regards
Malte
No, those pictures are fine. It’s a YAS-62II. The Yamaha symbol on them was changed on that horn to the tuning fork symbol, instead of the big YAMAHA either screened or stamped. It’s not a YAS-62III because they changed the C# and Eb arms on them and it doesn’t have those changes, so it has to be a 62II.

The way that people talk about Yamaha 62s is weird. There’s the purple label (1st generation) horns, which don’t have the tilting low Bb spatulas, and then the stamped ones (which people call the Mark II, even though Yamaha never called them that) which do have tilting Bb, and then the II and III as designated by Yamaha.

As far as the neck goes, I would guess that this fell into that period when they weren’t labeling the 62 necks.

·
Registered
708 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Many thanks, really appreciate your answer.

As far as the neck goes, I would guess that this fell into that period when they weren’t labeling the 62 necks.
Do you know if this means early or late 62ii (although they said they bought it in 2007, so I guess it can't be late)? Is here any reason to have concerns about the timing of the manufacturing of the 62ii, or are they all more or less the same? I read somewhere concerns about the tuning of the G1 neck but have no idea about which runs where affected.

Am I overthinking this? :)

1 - 20 of 34 Posts