1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Forum Contributor 2017
8,186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Glasses Musical instrument Wind instrument Natural material Wood
Land vehicle Wind instrument Motor vehicle Musical instrument Reed instrument
Wood Street light Font Rectangle Guitar

I picked this up locally for $65 today and it actually plays great although there are some leaks and one missing pearl.

Came in a solid original case.

Engraved with the name ACCORD but no manufacturer country.

My best guess is early Taiwanese but well made with ribbed construction and robust key strength.

What do you all think it is?

·
Registered
Tenor, alto, Bb Clarinet, Flute
2,523 Posts
Looks a lot like an Accord to me. 😂 Kidding.

I found an alto Accord a with a handshake logo. Apparently it’s made in “Elkmart , Indiana” That’s ELKMART with a M.

·
Registered
T880, YTS-82Z; B991; 'Crat 1 alto
1,362 Posts
Google Translate says:

Soprano Accord Sax ASS-902

Gold lacquered finish, Auxiliary keys "F#" acute, "F#" front, Natural cork in the tudel, articulated bass C# key, Mother-of-Pearl typing buttons, Fixed metallic left thumb rest, Metal right thumb rest, Glove box, Flannel, mouthpiece, reed and case.

And then there's this:

·
Forum Contributor 2017
8,186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
So it looks like it is the very last of the Elkhart USA horns interesting. Thanks

·
Distinguished SOTW Coffee Guru
41,646 Posts
well ", accord "may be one of those brand names like imperial, royal, harmony.... currently this brand appears top be used in Brazil by some shop there

this only says Accord, mentions nothing about Elkart so it may not be the same as the one from there

In my opinion this resembles an early Gulf

Musical instrument Reed instrument Reed Wind instrument Woodwind instrument

but also Swallow looks a bit like this

Wood Interior design Art Floor Flooring

·
Forum Contributor 2017
8,186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Mine does not have Elkhart either. I think it is early Taiwanese as well.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2012
2,148 Posts
I have a very similar one somewhere around here that had a “Made in Taiwan” sticker on it. Don’t recall the name on it at the moment.

·
Forum Contributor 2017
8,186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Japanese? Hmm Perhaps very early Yamaha prior to the 61 series?

·
41,646 Posts
I am sorry but I disagree, I really don’t think this is Japanese , Nikkan was the company which morphed into Yamaha (and Yanagisawa) and I have never seen a Nikkan soprano.

Your horn has all the signs of being an early Taiwanese sax (in my opinion) as the ones made and sold under the brand “ Gulf” or “ Dixon"

this is a Dixon

looks very similar to yours.

Musical instrument Reed instrument Wind instrument Automotive lighting Woodwind instrument
Musical instrument Automotive exhaust Wind instrument Brass instrument Wood
Musical instrument Brass instrument Wind instrument Reed instrument Amber
Musical instrument Water Wind instrument Reed instrument Woodwind instrument
Automotive lighting Gold Body jewelry Art Jewellery
Hand Musical instrument Reed instrument Body jewelry Wind instrument

Yanagisawa (which also came from NIKKAN) did make, in their very beginning also this kind of sax design but , not Yamaha, but it doesn’t look like one of their stencils

BUT.....

All the early sopranos made throughout Asia tries to copy the “ Selmer” design of the mark VI

This is a Yanagisawa stencil

Musical instrument Natural material Gold Amber Wind instrument

this too

Musical instrument Product Musical instrument accessory Rectangle Font

Attachments

·
Registered
2,523 Posts
I tried to make a joke too but no one was laughing. Sigh.

·
Distinguished Member and Bass Sax Extraordinaire
1,050 Posts
I tried to make a joke too but no one was laughing. Sigh.
Well, let me try:

I used to smoke Accord cigarettes in the 80s, and they were made by Benson & Hedges. So... B&H gets my vote as stencil maker. ;)

·
Registered
2,523 Posts
Here you go. I found some real data to chew on. Accord is a trademark of E. K. Blessing company of Elkhart, IN. They are now a part of St. Louis Music. The link even shows the accord handshake logo. Mystery solved. As to when it was made, I'll leave that to someone else. Maybe someone at Blessing can tell you more if you provide the serial number. I love a mystery!

Apparently the trademark was first registered in 1985 so there's that. Here's a link to E K Blessing serial numbers but it ends in 1980 so probably not a lot of help but maybe a place to start.

Maybe Adams Music can point you in the right direction. Blessing has changed hands so many time in the last 20 years it's possible the records don't exist anymore. Good luck. Hope this helps.

·
41,646 Posts
well, in 1985 no saxophone was made in the US anymore and Blessing is more than likely to have outsourced this abroad, byt that time Yanagisawa was no longer making its S6 model

it may appear that Blessing was selling Taiwanese made saxophones such as this Oriental which the seller claims was sold by Blessing too and which looks like the twin brother of the original post sax see also the case....

Musical instrument Sleeve Dress Gold Font
Musical instrument Automotive exterior Electric blue Bumper Musical instrument accessory
Musical instrument Wind instrument Wood Shotgun Reed instrument

·
Forum Contributor 2017
8,186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I have to go with what Milandro is writing. All the Taiwanese and Chinese were making copies of Mark VI's and because this one is not total crap I believe it to Taiwanese that sold through Elkhart by possibly Blessing.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts