Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
~1927 Buescher TT alto
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I have a 1926-27 Buescher True Tone alto, and in the case there's a mouthpiece I'd like help identifying. It has the word "CONSERVATORY" stamped on the back, and what appears to be "B5*" stamped on the table. Please see below:

IMG_20181227_133242.jpg
IMG_20181227_133256.jpg
IMG_20181227_135458.jpg

I don't have much information about the origin of the horn itself. It came in the original case, but was purchased by my grandfather in the early nineties at a garage sale in Oregon, so I have no idea who the previous owner might have been.

This is my first post here, so apologies in advance if I breach protocol in any way, and thanks in advance for any help!

·
Banned
2,814 Posts
Taking a guess here, but the facing "B5*" was used by the Woodwind Co. back in the day. This very well might be a stencil mouthpiece made by the Woodwind Co. Here's a picture and you'll see the facing B5* in the RH column under the alto saxophone category.

Woodwind Co mouthpieces.jpg

Again, not certain about this, but I'd bet at least a little bit of money that I'm right. ;-)

John

·
Registered
~1927 Buescher TT alto
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Excellent, thank you! I see you all have high confidence in this ID, and now that I've googled Woodwind Co mpcs, I can see that you're clearly right. I spent a little time with it today (for the first time...I'd been sticking with modern mpcs up to know) and I'm sensing that it's very suitable for the Buescher. Intonation and response seem better than anything else I've tried. I gather the open chamber is the reason for this good match.

I'm so glad I didn't lose or give away this mouthpiece! I had figured it was no-name junk, and it's a treat to discover it has both quality and some value. I'm not really seeking the vintage sound, but I'll spend some time and see what I can do with it. I'd be interested to hear if anyone is using Woodwind Co mpcs and achieving a more modern sound.

Thanks again!

·
Registered
2,674 Posts
Excellent, thank you! I see you all have high confidence in this ID, and now that I've googled Woodwind Co mpcs, I can see that you're clearly right. I spent a little time with it today (for the first time...I'd been sticking with modern mpcs up to know) and I'm sensing that it's very suitable for the Buescher. Intonation and response seem better than anything else I've tried. I gather the open chamber is the reason for this good match.

I'm so glad I didn't lose or give away this mouthpiece! I had figured it was no-name junk, and it's a treat to discover it has both quality and some value. I'm not really seeking the vintage sound, but I'll spend some time and see what I can do with it. I'd be interested to hear if anyone is using Woodwind Co mpcs and achieving a more modern sound.

Thanks again!
It's not just the MPC, it is the reed and the way you play that makes most of the difference but the Steel Ebonite provides a very solid base for anything you want to achieve. Try the D'Addario unfiled or else the Eastman 2.5, both work really well with it.

·
Registered
~1927 Buescher TT alto
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks again to all for the identification of my mouthpiece. I have been enjoying playing it now and then, but the tip opening is just so damn small. I've been thinking about having it opened up to a 6 or 7 (I have otherwise been playing on a Meyer NYUSA 7)...am I crazy? Any opinions of what an open, dark mpc like this will be like with that modification?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts