Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

· Registered
9,294 Posts
I just sold a T4 for $1400 but it looked much more played than that one.
That may be A T5 or T6. The T4 didn’t have a high F#. I think the T5s have some plastic parts like the G# key.
From what I’ve gathered the serial number back then was month/year//one made so far that year.
That means that tenor from April, 1976.

· Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Would I be doing myself any major disservice by getting this instead of a 901 or TWO1. I've only briefly played a Yanagisawa back in the late 90s and remember being happy with what I played then. I'm hoping that I could pick this up for cheaper since I live near them, so what's a realistic price?

I'm also looking at a YTS-62iii or a TWO1 for what it's worth.

· Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2017
Picked up a sax in 2002 and here I am.
2,464 Posts
Looks like this horn has barely been played. If I were you I’d try to buy the horn locally for around $1800, which is probably what they’d net if sold on eBay. Perhaps offer a little less and see where that goes.

P.S. Never share an eBay listing here for a horn you’re interested in! It would be disappointing to have someone swoop in and buy the horn out from under you.

· Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Looks like this horn has barely been played. If I were you I'd try to buy the horn locally for around $1800, which is probably what they'd net if sold on eBay. Perhaps offer a little less and see where that goes.

P.S. Never share an eBay listing here for a horn you're interested in! It would be disappointing to have someone swoop in and buy the horn out from under you.
Good call. Removed the listing lol.

I figure if they would go to 1500-1600 if I drive and pick it up then I'd be fine.

· Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2017
Picked up a sax in 2002 and here I am.
2,464 Posts
Probably a good plan, as after sitting unplayed (assuming based on condition) for perhaps 40 years, it will probably need a little work. There’s one on sale here for $1750 that’s in playing condition for comparison with the seller. Good luck.

· Registered
466 Posts
For what it's worth, I have a Vito VSP-stencil Yanagisawa tenor from 1980, and it looks very similar to the pictures on the CL ad you linked...though mine is not pristine. Guys claim the Yani stencils don't get all of the goodness that the Yanagisawa-branded instruments get, so let's say the one you are interested in is similar or better than mine in some respects, and its definitely in better condition. My point is this: I owned a T901 and played it side by side against my VSP for several months and really couldn't detect any significant difference between the two. (I also had a T992 and T991 and they were very different than the VSP and T901.)

You asked "Would I be doing myself any major disservice by getting this instead of a 901 or TWO1", and I'm suggesting the 901 might seem very similar to you as well. But the asking price is creeping into the neighborhood where you do have other options, Yanagisawa and other brands. You would be paying a premium because of the condition of the instrument, which I believe is money well-spent, up to a point. (I wouldn't buy a collector-grade closet-queen...I am not a collector.)

If you 1) play the instrument and like it, and 2) can make a deal you feel good about, then I say move forward. Call me Captain Obvious!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.