Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
583 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I found an old hard rubber alto mouthpiece. It is marked "The woodwind Co. and underneath it says New York. Also on top of the piece it says "Steel Ebonite". On the table it is labled B5. Is this anything special or just an old mouthpiece? Any info appreciated.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
1,127 Posts
Nope, not special at all...send it to me and I'll dispose of it properly :bluewink:.

Special? That really depends on what you consider special. Special as in super-duper rare and worth as much as some saxes?...nope. Special as in plays well?...that just depends what you're using it on and your taste in mouthpieces.

They aren't worth a ton of money, but most that have them think they're pretty nice pieces...especially when used on vintage saxes. I've seen them pop up for sale for anywhere between $30-$100ish...though most seem to be somewhere in between.

If you search around there are a few threads that talk about Woodwind Co. mouthpieces, but there really isn't all that much info floating around about them.

·
Registered
583 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
OK that sounds reasonable to me. So why does it play 1/2 step flat? In order to play a song in F with this piece I have to play in F#. Is it possible it's a C Melody piece? Maybe that what is so "special" about it.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts