·
Indistinguishable Resident Buescher Bigot and Foru
8,588 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Dead on! Thanks!!

·
Distinguished SOTW Coffee Guru
38,837 Posts
Alfredo Santoni ditta Giglio Paré Como , these are the so often misidentified “ Malerne” because at some point they either produced for Malerne (and Buffet) or they used similar parts.

Research this matter in the archives (dare I say ), there are lots of pages where horns looking like a Malerne were at some point spotted for what they really are. The vertical serial number is also typical Santoni.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2016
17,968 Posts
MY guess the latter, being Malerne probably built their horns from Santoni parts (among other parts as well). Maybe both factories also got some parts from elsewhere (?) Malernes and Santonis share the same body tubes and bows. As time pushed into the 70's-ish, Santonis changed their pinky table and started appearing with more flared bells (see their Evettes).

This horn probably is from the 60's, though.

Interesting thing here, the neck octave key logo is actually one you see on Santoni horns which were stenciled for Olds (for a very short time).
So that would be the tipoff for me that this came from Santoni factory as opposed to Malerne factory, Malernes not having that sorta sheet-metal octave key (as shown in doctorsax link).

·
Distinguished SOTW Coffee Guru
38,837 Posts
1 - 6 of 6 Posts