Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Premium Member
15,478 Posts
Sorry guys, it meant to say $300 or more on eBay.
I think I’m multitasking too many things here this morning. 😀 LOL
Typo mistake.

Thanks for catching that. I will updated the info to be more particular about the piece. Some people will still call this an Early Babbitt model because these came out after the Slant models, but really to be more particular, it’s a Florida straight signature that was made in Florida after the Slant Sigs but with the same Slant bodies and a straight signature name.

If the market is low for those at the moment, just hold onto it because it is certainly worth $300 and I wouldn’t sell it for any less.

·
Registered
3,019 Posts
Nice piece! Looks like an all original 7 slant blank era EB, with that neat double stamped large font USA, nice find dude!

·
Premium Member
15,478 Posts
Sorry again about the typo. Iit’s a beautiful looking piece and I again, would not sell for less than $300

·
Registered
3,436 Posts
Hey ... It's definitely NOT an Early Babbitt. It's a Florida Straight Signature Tone Edge.

Early Babbitt means it was finished in Elkhart after they purchased Otto Link. This piece was most Certainly finished in Florida and not Indiana. The Elkhart, IN machines produce vertical denim marks not horizontal marks. These marks on the table are from Florida and are identical to the Slants produced there.

The Signature was straightened on the Otto Link pieces a good while before they moved to Indiana, hence Florida straight signature. It is the SAME exact blank as the last made Slant Signatures just with a redesigned signature.

I've been playing and collecting Links for a long time and this piece is definitely a Florida and NOT an EB.

I do agree that the value on it is $300 - $400. Especially because it's a 7 and has a nice baffle.

I repeat NOT an Early Babbitt at all. This piece was made before Babbitt owned Otto Link and would be under Ben Harrod's ownership in Florida.

Can't be an EB when Babbitt didn't own Otto Link.

Also, the finishing processes being different on the baffles in Elkhart made a piece that played much differently than these late Florida's.

Good luck.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hey ... It's definitely NOT an Early Babbitt. It's a Florida Straight Signature Tone Edge.

Early Babbitt means it was finished in Elkhart after they purchased Otto Link. This piece was most Certainly finished in Florida and not Indiana. The Elkhart, IN machines produce vertical denim marks not horizontal marks. These marks on the table are from Florida and are identical to the Slants produced there.

The Signature was straightened on the Otto Link pieces a good while before they moved to Indiana, hence Florida straight signature. It is the SAME exact blank as the last made Slant Signatures just with a redesigned signature.

I've been playing and collecting Links for a long time and this piece is definitely a Florida and NOT an EB.

I do agree that the value on it is $300 - $400. Especially because it's a 7 and has a nice baffle.

I repeat NOT an Early Babbitt at all. This piece was made before Babbitt owned Otto Link and would be under Ben Harrod's ownership in Florida.

Can't be an EB when Babbitt didn't own Otto Link.

Also, the finishing processes being different on the baffles in Elkhart made a piece that played much differently than these late Florida's.

Good luck.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
Wow, what a great information, thanks a lot. I was in doubt because the mouthpiece looks like it was made only a couple of years ago. Therefore I wondered if it could be a new made one after an old model??? But I can't find any information about that for alto models. Hopefully it's a real old one in very good condition.

Thanks for all the information!
Yvonne

1 - 18 of 18 Posts