Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone have any information on this Vega saxophone? I'm moderately sure it's a Martin handcraft stencil just by visually comparing it to photos of some 1926 -1930 Handcrafts. Google doesn't turn up much on vega martin stencils, except that they exist. Here are some pictures. http://imgur.com/a/eDz8W

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Technician
21,140 Posts
It is a Martin stencil but a style similar to a series 2 Handcraft. No front F and no high C# adjuster. Although the series 2 ended in 1928, this one could be from as late as the early 1930s. As I recall, Vegas were sold by a firm in Boston.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the confirmation. Ended up losing the auction though but I learned loads about Martin saxophones and stencils doing research on this one. Silver lining and all I suppose, time to go sax hunting again.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Technician
21,140 Posts
The prices in the US for Martins is pretty low right now and you can pick up a nice Indiana or even a Handcraft for good prices. Many of us will ship overseas and you can take advantage of a "buyer's market". I have Martins and others for under $500 with new pads and on ebay you may find one needing work for half of that. Keep looking and enjoy the ride!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts