Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
14,268 Posts
That is probably an older version of Antigua's soprano. I compared it to my 590LQ (the model that receives all the raves).

1. Serial number on mine begins with YS while the ebay horn has no letters at the beginning.

2. My 590's serial number runs across the tube while this one runs down the tube.

3. My 590 has metal thumb rests - the one in the eBay auction has plastic.

I guess the question is how good it will be for $300.00? The new ones are around $1K (at least the last time I checked). Used versions are a lot less because even as good as Antiguas may be, they don't hold their price (but neither do the top end sopranos, save for a few). If I was in the market for a sop, I may be tempted to try for this one if the price stays low. Otherwise, look for a 582 (fixed neck), 586 or 590 with YS in the serial number. DAVE

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2015
3,383 Posts
I'm interested too... I just picked one up identical to this locally for a couple hundred bucks on a whim. I'd heard good things about Antigua sopranos, but know nothing about them really, other than this looks different than the current models. I played it and it played well enough considering it's the first time I've even tried to play the soprano in over 20 years.

Honestly, I have no idea whether it's decent or not as I have nothing to compare it with. Tone sounds good (this one came with a Runyon 6 mouthpiece), intonation is hard to tell in a 10-minute blow from someone with NO soprano chops.

But it would be nice to know whether I'm starting with a handicap or whether it's decent enough.

Pete

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
3,156 Posts
The case would suggest it's pre-582/586/590, the models receiving much acclaim by several SOTW members, because none of them comes in a case like this if I remember correctly. I've owned all three, 582, 586 and 590, at different times and this looks like an earlier model to me.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts