Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

Please help me identify this martin tenor. I cant seem to figure out what it is.
The post holding everything for the LH pinky cluster went missing and my repair shop cant find parts, but could fabricate the part for a couple of hundred bucks. I am a high school band director and this is a school owned horn - I need to know if this horn is worth sinking money into or if I should look for something different.

On the bell there is an oval with "Martin" inside of it. Serial number 0021xx It also says made in Japan. I thought I read somewhere on here that this might actually be made by Yanagisawa, but I cant find anything to back that up.

Here is a pic of the bell engraving.

View attachment 3456

Any info on this horn? Age? Quality?

Thanks in advance.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Technician
21,034 Posts
Looks like a newer one from Japan. These were made by Yanagisawa for Martin in the 80s and 90s. They were sold by Leblanc which is now Conn-Selmer. Not a real Martin, just a "stencil" that they bought with their name on it. These have the bell keys on the right side and the brace of the body to bell should have a modified triangle on it looking like a trumpet bell.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member and Forum Contributor 20
1,419 Posts
Your picture doesn't work on my computer, but you have a Yanagisawa. It's either an 800 or an 880; based on your serial number I'm guessing an 880. Check for Yanagisawa parts instead of Martin parts.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Technician
21,034 Posts
Either way you will need to contact Conn-Selmer in Elkhart IN. I really doubet they will have the part. I would check with Ferree's in Battle Creek MI.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member and Champion of the C-Me
2,057 Posts
Fred said:
Your picture doesn't work on my computer.....
Fred - just for info - if I look at this page using (e.g.) Opera 9 or Mozilla Firefox 2 browsers, then a picture doesn't show, just a line of text.

Reliably only shows as a picture for me, using Internet Explorer. I haven't investigated setup tweaks on the other browsers, there may well be workarounds.

(apologies for the tech stuff, but I often hear similar comments here about pics not being visible)

·
Registered
68 Posts
ebay recently sold item #200218327089 had serial #002134. A very close cousin to your tenor. Lots of pictures and it sold tooooo cheaply. Notice the leblanc symbol on the neck.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts