Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm hoping you can help me find some info on a mouthpiece I once had.
It came with my tenor sax (a used conn at the time) and was a bit unusual in design and I unfortunately don't recall the markings on it as its been years (~15) since I lost it.

It was a steel, probably stainless, mouth piece... with a size 0 or 1 tone chamber/baffle, but if you look at the image below the exterior profile of the mouthpiece matched the interior giving it a rather flat thin shape at the end.
Edit: Actually if you choose the 0/1 baffle and only look at the white "interior" portion of the diagram thats almost exactly the shape

I rather liked the sound it gave and the feel of the more traditionally shaped mouthpieces has never felt quite right to me.

Any help you guys and gals can give me would be greatly appreciated

·
Registered
258 Posts
The way I interpreted that, I'm picturing an old Brilhart Level-Air – especially due to how you describe the exterior shape. However, those came with a black bite plate on them...

Perhaps the one on yours came off...?

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Technician
21,033 Posts
The Berg would probably have a scooped out baffle. The Brilhart does sound similar. The older ones had a black bite plate the covered the whole beak and down the sides.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Forum Contributor 2007
1,247 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks everyone.
It was much more like the brilhart level air, though I don't recall mine having any bite plate at all. perhaps it was a level air who's previous owner had knocked off the bite plate somehow? (assuming that the surface underneath the bite plate is smooth)
Perhaps if nothing closer is found I'll try out one of those. Can anyone comment of the effect of having no bite plate? Beyond a slight buzzing in my teeth that I recall slightly but never really bothered me...

·
Registered
8,975 Posts
Also possibly a metal Runyon Quantum.

The bite plate is for comfort and can allow you to play with a more open oral cavity which will change the sound a little.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Technician
21,033 Posts
If you liked the old Brilhart L-A, try a Rico Metalite as it is similar in the baffle design. If the old L-A you had was missing the bite plate, you would know it! They are pretty narrow and the bite area is quite flat.

·
Registered
258 Posts
I'm not sure when production on them was started, but the ARB metal mouthpieces are essentially the same internally as the old Level Airs, just with a different exterior beak design. They might be another possibility.

It's still a pretty narrow bite, if you're looking for a mouthpiece like that.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts