Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,924 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi

I'm planning on getting an old Conn curved soprano.
Ebay prices usually range between $500-$1200.

Online stores usually sell them for $2000+

The only difference I guess is that the ones sold by the stores will be set up and adjusted and ready to play whereas Ebay ones are a risk (albeir a calculated one...based on pics, description).

Any Conn Curvie experts there who like to give your advice?
I'm a Mark VI sop guy...don't know much about vintage Curvies.
Also considering a Yani SC901...the one with the less curved neck...intonation will be much better but I guess the warmth of the Conn sound will be absent.

Advice????

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
14,268 Posts
Adrian: I am not an expert on curved Conns, although I owned one years ago.
My Yanagisawa SC902 is overwhelmingly a better saxophone than was the Conn I once owned (and the Conn had been completely overhauled after I bought it).

I've owned and played more modern curved sops, though, and feel better about generalizing about modern curved sops. I'd go modern, but always keep an open mind about the vintage models. DAVE

·
Registered
391 Posts
Hi Adrian

If I am not mistaken, I boughta a Runyon Quantum SOP off you some time again... and I am still enjoying it !

Interesting that you are looking for a Conn curvie ? My thoughts were going that way as well.

Currently have a Lyon&Healy straight sop (Martin), and a Rampone & Cazzani silver curvie SOP. Both are beautiful ... but I am curious about the Conn sound. I would be interested in hearing why you are looking at the vintage Conn sops ?

... oh, and by the way I have a tilted bell P.Mauriat that is also very nice, but not as dark as the other two. Thus this one will shortly be up for sale.

Cheers
W.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Technician
21,034 Posts
A conn curved in decent playing condition with good plating will run you about $1,200. If you can find a good looker for $500 and put another $500 in it you should be OK. I am on ebay at least 3x a day and I don't see any worthwhile for under a thousand.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
878 Posts
Conn curvies tend to follow the price range of their larger brethren. In general, the most sought after are the "Chu" era (post 143,xxx) curvies, with the serials around 200k being the most desirable. This isn't to say that older ones are not good players. I have a 26k curvie (1913), no rolled tone holes. It has a nice, warm sound, and better intonation than my later Conn Straights (165k and 184k). Like most Conns, they play very open with fairly little resistance. You'd be amazed at how big these little horns can sound.

IMHO, I'd save up the extra pennies to buy one from a reputable dealer. I've had multiple dealings both with straight eBay purchases and with dealers. Ebay is a crapshoot. Sometimes you luck up, sometimes you end up over your head. The reputable dealers I've dealt with have always delivered a fine product, as described or better, and stand by their product.

·
Registered
1,566 Posts
1 - 7 of 7 Posts