Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Was excited to grab a deal on this SA80II tenor, but after closer examination I believe it may have had some re-lacquering done. Maybe some of you can help me out? I'll post a couple of pics below. I've only owned one other Selmer Paris, so not sure if orange peel is common in the finish, I would think not. Also, looks to be a tiny hair trapped under a layer of lacquer inside the bell. What do you think? If you all agree it's had some re-lacquering, I'm going to try to return it because this was not disclosed in the listing. I am not interested in re-lacquers, period. Thanks for your help!

First pic, orange peel? Don't think Selmer Paris would release a bell looking like that. Second pic, lil hair trapped under lacquer? I think so. 馃槙

View attachment 213466
View attachment 213468

Registered
Was excited to grab a deal on this SA80II tenor, but after closer examination I believe it may have had some re-lacquering done. Maybe some of you can help me out? I'll post a couple of pics below. I've only owned one other Selmer Paris, so not sure if orange peel is common in the finish, I would think not. Also, looks to be a tiny hair trapped under a layer of lacquer inside the bell. What do you think? If you all agree it's had some re-lacquering, I'm going to try to return it because this was not disclosed in the listing. I am not interested in re-lacquers, period. Thanks for your help!

First pic, orange peel? Don't think Selmer Paris would release a bell looking like that. Second pic, lil hair trapped under lacquer? I think so. :/

View attachment 213466
View attachment 213468
Can you post a few pictures of the engraving on the bell.

Because for the contours of the horn and the reflections, it is hard to clearly tell with the pictures you have posted...though admittedly, it is suspicious.

Registered
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Can you post a few pictures of the engraving on the bell.

Because for the contours of the horn and the reflections, it is hard to clearly tell with the pictures you have posted...though admittedly, it is suspicious.
Here's some pics of the engraving, and more of the bell. I only suspect some spot lacquering around the rim and inside of the bell. All other areas of the horn look mint. You can see in that top view of the bell that it looks okay from standing distance, but get up close and you start to see that orange peel effect. I was just surprised to see this on a Selmer, because I've had cheap Chinese horns with better finishes.

View attachment 213472
View attachment 213474
View attachment 213476

Distinguished SOTW Coffee Guru
I don't think so, looks very nice an dprostine but even it it was it was only spot lacquered where something might have been less than perfect.

However it is your prerogative to buy or not a relacquer.

BUT

The 鈥 problem 鈥 with a total relacquer is the fact that you need to buff the entire instrument and that that would remove minute amounts of metal .

The collectors have started this thing and then the vibrationalists took this issue over supposing that this small amount of metal would have any significance on sound.

It doesn鈥檛.

But all of that might have a meaning for a collectable saxophone, not for a saxophone still in production that is not a collectable now and that I think will never be.

Registered
Discussion Starter #6
I don't think so, looks very nice an dprostine but even it it was it was only spot lacquered where something might have been less than perfect.

However it is your prerogative to buy or not a relacquer.

BUT

The 鈥 problem 鈥 with a total relacquer is the fact that you need to buff the entire instrument and that that would remove minute amounts of metal .

The collectors have started this thing and then the vibrationalists took this issue over supposing that this small amount of metal would have any significance on sound.

It doesn鈥檛.

But all of that might have a meaning for a collectable saxophone, not for a saxophone still in production that is not a collectable now and that I think will never be.
Thanks milandro, and totally agree on all your points. In this case the sax was described as being in 'mint' condition, which is the only reason I question it. If it had been repaired and spot lacquered, then it can no longer qualify as mint, and I would expect to pay less. My position when it comes to lacquer is, 'just let it go'. Let the horn age naturally.

Distinguished SOTW Coffee Guru
the sax might very well have been new ( the factory would or could spot lacquer to correct a defect ) and the lacquer cleaner simply used by the shop to shine the horn before selling.

Registered
I would say that if you have difficulty determining whether the horn has been re-done, it won't matter to its performance.

If it looks like it's ever been played, it's not "mint". The only way it could be "mint" is if it is in exactly the same condition as when first received; i.e., all original accessories, warranty cards, keys to the case, etc., present and in their original bags, wedges still under the keys (if Selmer do this), no spittle tracks, nothing.

What you have there looks to me like "near new" condition, which is not "mint".

Personally I would start playing the heck out of the thing and stop considering the ways in which it might be imperfect. It looks freaking gorgeous.

Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2015-
Personally I would start playing the heck out of the thing and stop considering the ways in which it might be imperfect.
Amen.

SOTW Member
I feel your pain, the last few horns I got from ebay were damaged (bad inside case packing) or overhyped or under-described, one idea is to request an adjustment in the price.

You have plenty of leverage. Contact the seller first, or you could make a claim if you had to. Bottom line if you got a decent price and the rest of the horn looks and plays good, well ok enjoy your rebate and go play the horn. It is a good looking horn, hair or not.

Registered
Discussion Starter #11
I feel your pain, the last few horns I got from ebay were damaged (bad inside case packing) or overhyped or under-described, one idea is to request an adjustment in the price.

You have plenty of leverage. Contact the seller first, or you could make a claim if you had to. Bottom line if you got a decent price and the rest of the horn looks and plays good, well ok enjoy your rebate and go play the horn. It is a good looking horn, hair or not.
Thank you Cashsax, and all. When paying in the neighborhood of 3k I think it鈥檚 perfectly fair to expect full disclosure of any repairs done on the sax, especially when it鈥檚 described as mint. I don鈥檛 think I鈥檓 being picky here. I do stay away from relacquers though, and I have my reasons. A hair wedged in the finish and excessive orange peel is a sign of a rushed job. An experienced seller should have spotted this and mentioned it. It鈥檚 much more noticeable in person.

Another point, when purchasing a horn at this price point from a leading manufacturer it鈥檚 an investment. There鈥檚 always resale value to consider. Play the thing, yes that comes next. First, did I pay too much for this particular horn? That鈥檚 totally reasonable.

Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2013
Thank you Cashsax, and all. When paying in the neighborhood of 3k I think it鈥檚 perfectly fair to expect full disclosure of any repairs done on the sax, especially when it鈥檚 described as mint. I don鈥檛 think I鈥檓 being picky here. I do stay away from relacquers though, and I have my reasons. A hair wedged in the finish and excessive orange peel is a sign of a rushed job. An experienced seller should have spotted this and mentioned it. It鈥檚 much more noticeable in person.

Another point, when purchasing a horn at this price point from a leading manufacturer it鈥檚 an investment. There鈥檚 always resale value to consider. Play the thing, yes that comes next. First, did I pay too much for this particular horn? That鈥檚 totally reasonable.
I cannot see your pics, but I wholly agree with your sentiment that a sax described as "mint" should not have any undisclosed repairs or be relaquered. Also, that if the description is inaccurate, it should be solely at your discretion if you wish to keep it or send it back. You should be able to sell the horn again and be able to describe it honestly without taking a (major) hit in sale price, because the sax was inaccurately described when you purchased it. If it were me, I would just send it back. Trying to sort things out with a seller who describes a relaquered horn as "mint" strikes me as a waste of time.

Registered
I cannot see your pics, but I wholly agree with your sentiment that a sax described as "mint" should not have any undisclosed repairs or be relaquered. Also, that if the description is inaccurate, it should be solely at your discretion if you wish to keep it or send it back. You should be able to sell the horn again and be able to describe it honestly without taking a (major) hit in sale price, because the sax was inaccurately described when you purchased it. If it were me, I would just send it back. Trying to sort things out with a seller who describes a relaquered horn as "mint" strikes me as a waste of time.
For a $3K horn I agree - I wouldn't hesitate to send it back. Go with your intuition...

1 - 13 of 13 Posts