Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought a cannonball stone series tenor. Gold laquer. It was of the best investments ever. However, when using the standard neck, and I switch from
G to A with the octave key, the G key sticks down and won't
Come up without a little push. Its jot the pad because it comes up a little tiny bit. Also, the octave key moves up a little but no nearly enough to change. We are talking millimeters. That whole g to a setup is stuck. I don't know why this is and I have auditions coming up please help! I'm normally good with fixing things on my saxes but this is right over my head.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
14,268 Posts
Does it always stick regardless of when you use the octave key? I can't imagine it sticking only when you use the octave key - it either sticks or it doesn't. And you ARE writing about the G tone-hole pad and not G# or the upper/lower octave vents, right?

You may have a weak spring, but more likely you have a pad or tone-hole edge that is cruddy. You can use well-worn paper money to slide under the offending pad . . . slip the bill under the pad, press it closed and drag out the bill. Same with cigarette rolling papers. Yamaha makes a tear-out book of pad-cleaning papers. You could also wash the tone hole rim and the pad with a q-tip. Hope this helps. DAVE

·
Just a guy who plays saxophone.
3,581 Posts
If you just bought it, you should be able to have it fixed free of charge...Unless it was your fault (drop, hit on a stand, etc). Just take it to where you bought it.

J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank. It does actually stick only on the octave. It's part ot the whole octave-G mechanism. The pads are brand new. And it is the g tone hole that's the culprit. Could my neck octaveechanism not be going up easy enough?

·
Registered
597 Posts
Somtimes the G key pad cup rubs on the post just below it . Key pad cup needs to be bent away from the post ever so slightly. Try that

·
Just a guy who plays saxophone.
3,581 Posts
Is this a new horn? Cannonball's great QC and customer service are two of the three reasons they are doing so well (putting out great horns is the third). If it is new, they should just have the tech at the shop where you bought it make it right. Part of what you paid for is a great set up, and that is why they are only sold in stores instead of online. They do have a warrantee for mechanical defects.

I have a six year old Raven tenor that was great when I bought it...Even better now. Never needed anything outside of the yearly once over.

·
Distinguished Technician & SOTW Columnist. RIP, Yo
17,204 Posts
Just a long shot... Rub the side of your nose with your finger, to get a little "nose grease" on your finger. Rub that on the top of the arm that operates the neck key, i.e. where it contacts the neck key.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts