Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hiya all.

My son, the tenor player, is using a Vandoren Java T55 on his '69 Mark VI with Vandoren 3s. He thinks it's a little bright. He's also got a newish Link HR Tone-Edge 6* which he thinks is kinda dark.

Your thoughts about suitable HR mouthpieces to try? Many thanks.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
13,040 Posts
Yanigasawa might be considered in the middle. Look at a Meyer as well.

·
Distinguished Colorful Mouthpiece Designer
1,019 Posts
Sam said:
Hiya all.

My son, the tenor player, is using a Vandoren Java T55 on his '69 Mark VI with Vandoren 3s. He thinks it's a little bright. He's also got a newish Link HR Tone-Edge 6* which he thinks is kinda dark.

Your thoughts about suitable HR mouthpieces to try? Many thanks.
Vandoren T55 Brighter, Link HR Darker... that's normal. Send the one your son likes more to a good refacer asking for a darker or brighter piece.
That is my advice.

Stan

·
Distinguished SOTW Member.
4,680 Posts
The new Vandoren HR V16 T6/7/8s seem to be sitting right between the Java and,
[current production] HR Link

Worth a look for the price - there's already a thread on them, here.

·
Registered
278 Posts
Wow lucky kid there with the Mark VI. I would suggest looking at some meyers and vandorens but he really should try some out to find what he is looking for.

·
Distinguished SOTW Columnist / Forum Contributor 2
4,202 Posts
I would also recommend that you check out the new Vandoren V16 hard rubber piece. I would probably start with the T7. Should have a bit more cut than the link but won't be nearly as bright as the Java. Another good alternative would be the Jody Jazz HR* tenor pieces. Again, it should be a bit brighter than the link he's playing on now.

·
Distinguished Member, Forum Contributor 2013-2016
7,889 Posts
He might also try the Otto Link (metal), which is brighter than the Tone Edge, but not nearly as bright as the Vandoren.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member and Forum Contributor
4,379 Posts
Or try a brighter reed on the Tone Edge, maybe a Rico Jazz Select or Alexander Superial.

·
4,202 Posts
He might have an issue trying to play a metal link during concert band. Great for jazz. Not exactly a classical mouthpiece :D

·
Distinguished Member, Forum Contributor 2013-2016
7,889 Posts
Hurling Frootmig said:
He might have an issue trying to play a metal link during concert band. Great for jazz. Not exactly a classical mouthpiece :D

Good point. We don't know what kind of music he's playing. I assumed that it was mostly jazz because of his other two choices, but that could be a bad assumption depending on the kid's age.

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Hotspur said:
Wow lucky kid there with the Mark VI.
a) Yeah, but I'm a lucky Dad. I have great kids.
b) Yeah, and he knows it. On the other hand, I shopped long and hard for a Mk VI to rehab five years ago. You'd pay a lot more for a YTS-23 than I paid for the VI! I got yer "step-up horn" right ovah heeyah.

Thank you all. DJ tried a bunch of pieces. At the moment he's auditioning a Vandoren V16 T7 which is probably the keeper.

It has been a pleasure to draw on your collected experience, folks. Here's hoping the shoe's on the other foot when you're looking for gear for your kids.

·
4,202 Posts
Sam,

It's great to have a parent who goes the extra mile for their kid. My dad always went to great lengths to research major purchases for us. Hopefully, I do the same for my son.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts