Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys! today, i had a conversation with a clarinetist at sam ash about my gear for bass clarinet. I'm using a selmer bundy bass clarinet. He assured me that the instrument is pretty good but said "that bundy mouthpiece has gotta go!" he told me to look into a vandoren mouthpiece (the mouthpieces im using for Bb and Eb clarinet), but i couldn't come close to the $130 for the B50. My experiance with the B45 and B44 mouthpieces are great; i love the mouthpieces, and i heard the new B50 makes a great, rich tone in all registers. Can you guys out there help me find a good semi-pro mouthpiece that doesn't cost a lot? I don't wanna sound picky, but hopefully below about $90? I use traditional 2 1/2 reeds.Thanks in advance!

UPDATE 3/6/11: I uploaded some pictures of my current mouthpiece. Is this the bundy signature mouthpiece everyone is talking about?

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks! just need another $5 for that clark fobes (i get my allowance on wednesdays), i might get that. I still wanna try these out before buying them. I'll let you know!

·
Registered
469 Posts
Is the bundy mouthpiece plastic or hard rubber?

·
Distinguished SOTW member/, Official SOTW Sister
19,221 Posts
The Bundy Signature bass clarinet mouthpiece is EXCELLENT! You might be able to find a 'vintage' one on ebay that's in your price range.
Otherwise, if you like the Vandoren B45 you may find the Marnay to your liking. It's a B45 'clone' and is WAY less expensive.
I use one on a borrowed Bundy bass clarinet and I like it well enough for what I need.
The Marnay is hard rubber and I think I got it for ~$45.

A little side note.... Don't always listen to sales people. They only have 1 purpose... TO SELL YOU STUFF! ;)

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
i really dont know guys. I bought the bass used, and the mouthpiece just says "G.M. Bundy" on it. That's all i know.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I'm still searching for that marnay mouthpiece, I can't find it anywhere

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2007-
2,666 Posts
Psoloman, Does your Bundy mouthpiece have something like a sulpher smell? That's a pretty good way to determine if a mouthpiece is hard rubber instead of cheaper plastic.

Roger

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2014
2,081 Posts
i really dont know guys. I bought the bass used, and the mouthpiece just says "G.M. Bundy" on it. That's all i know.
Here are two Bundy "Signature" bass mouthpieces. The one to the left is a new one, the other is "vintage".

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
2,853 Posts
The Fobes Debut is a pretty closed tip mouthpiece, if that's what you like. I bought a new B-46 on ebay for $104. I find it to be a wonderful mouthpiece for the price. I've tried a few of them and I can vouch for their consistency.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
according to tictactux's link, my mouthpiece is the vintage (the one on the right)

·
Distinguished SOTW Member.
1,184 Posts
I have about eight good refaced bass clarinet mouthpieces, $85 each, can send up to three at a time for one-week trial.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2014
2,081 Posts
according to tictactux's link, my mouthpiece is the vintage (the one on the right)
Then you have a very good mouthpiece; no way "that bundy mouthpiece has gotta go!". :tsk:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts