Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2007-
7,136 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm freaking out a little bit here. Just today I thought I would try the Saxgourmet neck enhancer that's been sitting here for a while. I watched all the videos about how to use it and confidently put it on the neck. After blowing the horn for a few minutes I decided to do an A/B comparison without the Enhancer. Well... the dang thing is stuck inside the mouthpiece. I tried pushing it out with a small tool. I also tried grabbing and pulling it out with needle-nose pliers. NO luck. This thing is really stuck. Any ideas?

(btw, it's a rubber O-ring that is making contact with the mpc, not the bare metal.)

·
Registered
363 Posts
If the enhancer is metal and MP hard rubber, you might try putting it in the freezer to see if you can shrink the metal and then it should come right out. I don't think the freezer would harm hard rubber, but proceed at your own risk.

Another option is lubrication. I'd start with olive oil since non-toxic, but WD-40 might be what does the trick. Then just wash everything with dish soap and should be fine.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2015-
32,962 Posts
Silicone oil is even more pervasive for O-rings.

·
7,136 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
A lot of good ideas here guys. I really appreciate it. Might try the freezing idea first. My tech can look at it on Monday if that doesn't work. Dr G, there is some silicone base oil around here some place. Not sure if it might be toxic though.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
3,951 Posts
I’m suspicious that the O-ring was To dry and rolled out of the groove.
Get a good light and a magnifying glass to see down the side. If that is not possible cut something thin and stiff that you can sneak down the side of it and get a sense that the depth is even all the way around. Something like a piece of heavy card from the mail.
Try pushing the O-ring back into the groove.
Next I would try giving it a really good blast of compressed air all the way around from installed end. Have a good pointed air nozzle? A pointed tip like this below screwed into the end of a air gun is all you need. This is about the 16th in diameter and around 2 inches long. Plenty to get down inside. Some are available as sporting ball inflator’s in plastic. Just cut the end off. Some air along with the silicone could help.

Chance,
Depending on how far you’ve pushed it on you may want to push it on more. That may roll the O-ring off the inserted end the rest of the way. possibly just enough to be able to grab onto the O-ring and pull the thing out.

Good luck Dan

·
7,136 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
OK, we finally got the darn thing out! The process took my repair guy about 20 minutes of pounding and pulling with various rods and tools. At one point, I thought my mouthpiece was going to crack (Aizen composite). But, in the end the little, brass, bugger popped out. The metal was quite shredded and torn up.

Thanks again for everyone’s great ideas which will be filed away in the old memory banks.

·
Registered
3,802 Posts
OK, we finally got the darn thing out! The process took my repair guy about 20 minutes of pounding and pulling with various rods and tools. At one point, I thought my mouthpiece was going to crack, (Aizen composite) but in the end the little, brass, bugger popped out. The metal was quite shredded and torn up. Thanks again for everyone’s great ideas which will be filed away in the old memory banks.
How was the enhancement?

·
7,136 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
It changed my life. Oh wait... not that enhancement.

😁

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2015-
32,962 Posts
"If the effects last for more than 4 hours, see a doctor."

I'm relieved to hear that you took the matter to a professional.

·
Just a guy who plays saxophone.
3,592 Posts
I got one of those stuck in my mouthpiece...it was either a metal Link or the metal Barone piece I used to play. It took a lot of force and eventually I popped it out using some wooden chopsticks. It enhanced nothing. I think I threw it in to sweeten the pot on another piece of gear I was selling because for me it was an expensive but completely useless hunk of brass. Popped it on for one last attempt before passing it on to the next guy and almost got it permanently lodged in my mouthpiece. I’ve bought two things from the guy that can’t be talked about on here and both were complete garbage.

·
7,136 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I got one of those stuck in my mouthpiece...it was either a metal Link or the metal Barone piece I used to play. It took a lot of force and eventually I popped it out using some wooden chopsticks.
I’m glad I’m not the only one that made this boneheaded move. The takeaway is, if you’re going to try something like this don’t use your main mouthpiece and neck!

·
7,136 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Ask your saxophone provider if enhancement is right for you...........
So funny!😂. And by the way, I sort of ripped off your avatar for one of my horns. I covered up the brand name with a sticker that says “sacks of fun.“

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Bass Sax Boss
1,818 Posts
If this ever happens to anyone else, one solution is this:

Run a length of heavy duty wire through the mouthpiece and enhancer. On the beak (reed) side of the wire, securely wrap the wire around someting small enough to easily pass through the mouthpiece, but too large to pass through the enhancer. A small hex nut would be a good suggestion, or even a couple of small washers. Loop the end throught at least twice and then twist the end in a spiral around the wire.

Put a few layers of masking tape over the rails and tip of the mouthpiece to protect them , in case the wire, washers, nut, or whatever might contact those sensitive parts. A layer or two of tape over the prepared end of the wire would also be wise.

Put the other end of the wire in a vise. Then a quick strong tug on the mouthpiece will dislodge the obstruction. A strong yank is more effective than slow steady pressure.

For those who have never experienced this problem, save time, money and grief. Stay away from those enhancers.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts