Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2007-
5,528 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 13-year-old 6-foot-tall, football-starter, first-chair, first-All-Region-Band son came home the other day with a sad look on his face. My old Selmer S-80 C* he plays concert music on had a crack running down the shank.

She was fine piece that has seen many miles, but now it's time to get the boy a new legit piece for concert band. I was thinking of maybe getting a new S-80 with a D or E facing or maybe a vintage Larry Teal piece.

Any suggestions you might have on what piece I should get him is greatly appreciated.

·
5,528 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Martin Williams said:
order a bunch, let him pick a size/model he likes, and go with that one!
Where can I order a bunch from and then return the ones we don't want?

·
Distinguished Member, Forum Contributor 2008
3,905 Posts
Enviroguy said:
My 13-year-old 6-foot-tall, football-starter, first-chair, first-All-Region-Band son came home the other day with a sad look on his face. My old Selmer S-80 C* he plays concert music on had a crack running down the shank.

She was fine piece that has seen many miles, but now it's time to get the boy a new legit piece for concert band. I was thinking of maybe getting a new S-80 with a D or E facing or maybe a vintage Larry Teal piece.

Any suggestions you might have on what piece I should get him is greatly appreciated.
You could get the shank banded to repair it.

Any decent mouthpiece tech can do that for you.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Enviroguy,

It may be possible also that the tip rail may be worn after many years of use. I am sure that it can be rescued with a reface and a shank band, but there are better options to look into for tenor. Soloist D,E, F or Vandoren V5 seriesT35 T25 (not sure of number about .080) all have round chambers and are better centered in tone in my humble experience. The S80 is OK on alto, but I personally found it tough to play on tenor. Like anything else, there are good ones and duds. Vandorens as Merlin states are one of the most consistent lower priced pieces. Joe Henderson couldn't be wrong with a Soloist, but I cannot attest to the quality of the new ones. You could then send the S80 for crack banding and possible reface and keep as a backup. I wish you and your son luck in the search!

·
Registered
5,913 Posts
Enviroguy said:

Just get a Selmer, that's what the legit players I know use. Phil

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2008,
3,929 Posts
If you're intrested, Ive got a nearly dead mint Long Shank soloist C* I can sell, send me a PM or email. Only thing is some slight Discoloration on the tip, facing etc is perfect and origional

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Technician
21,423 Posts
I like the D facing the best of the S-80s. I have used a D since about 1966 and last year went to a Super Session in a D and it is the best all around for me. You can't go wrong with a C8 but a C** or D may be worth trying. Another one is the S-90 in a 190 facing which is like the C* only with a fatter chamber. Easy to find. I sell them for about $75.

·
Distinguished Member, Forum Contributor 2013-2016
7,893 Posts

·
Forum Contributor 2010 & Distinguished SOTW Member
2,945 Posts
I like this piece very much.

Selmer new soloist D.

Steve

·
Distinguished Member, Forum Contributor 2013-2016
7,893 Posts
qwerty said:
I like this piece very much.

Selmer new soloist D.

Steve
This brings up a good point. Classical Selmer pieces on tenor need to have larger facings than their alto equivalents to keep the tip opening/chamber ratio the same.

·
Forum Contributor 2010 & Distinguished SOTW Member
2,945 Posts
J.Max said:
This brings up a good point. Classical Selmer pieces on tenor need to have larger facings than their alto equivalents to keep the tip opening/chamber ratio the same.
<Nods in agreement>

And even so, I had my soloist D opened up to .080 and the facing legnthed by Ed Zentera. I don't think this type of work would be necessary for a youngster, but it has really opened up the low register for me!

Steve

·
5,528 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thanks so much for your comments.

Based on them, I considered a Soloist, a Vandoren and I considered just getting EZ to repair and maybe improve the cracked S-80.

But in the end, I took the tried and true rout and snagged a nice clean used S-80 D off eBay for $46 including shipping. I figure there's plenty of time to step off into something different when my boy gets a little older and has a firmer grasp on his tone concept.

Thanks again. You folks are a really great resource. :)

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
1,527 Posts
I think that wasn't a bad idea, particularily how cheap those mouthpiece are second hand. There is a chance it won't play as well as the first one, however, and then you ought to give one of this forum's mpc technicians a call. There is no substitute for a perfectly working mouthpiece.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.