Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
439 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
SOTW-

Help me out guys! I'm supposed to meet a guy later today with a black lacquered Yamah 82Z Alto for sale that I think I'll be able to snag for about $1800. Its used with a few minor scratches, and was originally bought in 04.

Anyone with experience on THIS horn have any opinion about tone, overall sound, and whether there are any latent issues i dont know about?

Also, is this is a fair price? Could I do better on it pricewise?

I currently play a Z tenor so I know they're nice axes!

Please let me know, as I am supposed to play test it later this afternoon!

Thanks SOTW!

·
Registered
713 Posts
Sounds like a great deal! But I'd be sure to play test it before hand. Chromatic scale full range, check tuning of octaves, looks for any play in keys etc.
If I could get one for that price that'd played, I'd buy it in a heartbeat!

·
Registered
1,675 Posts
I've played a lacquered, unlacquarded, silver plated 82Z(on sale on ebay now). The finish made no difference at all. I'd grab that horn at $1800.

·
Registered
439 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Cool, thanks guys. Smonkman- good advice to play the whole range with a tuner! I'll have to go home and grab one!

Martinm- yeah, This will be my first time playing a Z alto. My old YAS-62 still looks new but I've been told that I'll like the ergos and top end better on the Z.

Anyone else who's played the black one?

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
14,446 Posts
At the risk of opening a HUGE can o' worms, let me PLUS-ONE Martinm5862 . . . the color of the horn or the finish does not matter. The only valid reply to your question, "Anyone else who's played the black one?" would be an answer from someone who played the black one you are intending to buy, not some OTHER black one. Each saxophone is different - and the color is not what you should be evaluating. You could line up several black Yamaha Z altos and find differences among them all.

I too played a variety of finishes on Z's several years ago when I was thinking about buying one - and the best of the bunch was a clear-lacquered brass model. I kept it a few months, then returned it to the previous owner who wanted it back. I felt no loss. DAVE

·
Registered
439 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Dave,

Absolutely! I agree with that statement! One is never exactly as another.

That's why I'm asking in generality- what the black ones feel/ sound like! Oftentimes, asking that question and judging the responses in broad strokes can often give you an idea of what to look for and to look out for!

So...the question still stands as aforementioned!

·
2,294 Posts
Each saxophone is different - and the color is not what you should be evaluating.
Whilst I don't agree with Dave that the finish makes no difference, I certainly agree that the colour doesn't affect the sound, and also that there are more differences from horn to horn, regardless of finish, than differences that the finish makes. (If you can follow that! :) )

I kept it a few months, then returned it to the previous owner who wanted it back. I felt no loss. DAVE
Not exactly a ringing endorsement!

·
Forum Contributor 2014, Distinguished SOTW Member
2,087 Posts
I had one for a while. It was nice. I think the YAS-62 has got a better sound, though. $1800 is not a bad price.

·
14,446 Posts
Mike F: No, I wasn't in love with the Z I finally found. Like I said, I tried a number of them around town (lacquered, unlacquered, silver-plate) and none rang my bell. I finally came across the lacquered one that a fellow SOTW poster bought new and wanted to unload. I tried it and it was much closer to what I was looking for than any I'd tried before. I suspect that this one may have been superior because of the dealer set-up performed before it was purchased new - nothing to do with the finish.

But after owning it a while, he wanted it back and I was alright with trading it back. There were other horns included in the deal and the Z was not missed.

I was curious about the Z line and I did want it to be THE one, but it wasn't - for me. Oh, it was nice, but I've played (and own) better altos for tone (like a new Ref 54 I've had for years and a '32 Cigar Cutter in gold-plate, and mid-'20's TT, and my newer Bueschers - Big B and TH&C).

I still fail to understand how anyone commenting on ANY black Z could offer ANY info that relates to the black Z in question in this thread. That would be like me concluding that all unlacquered or silver-plated Z's weren't any good because of the few I played. DAVE

·
Registered
439 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
All right- I tried the horn and I like the tone in the lower and mid registers better than my 62. So, I pulled the trigger and made an opening offer of $1400 and the seller accepted! As it turned out, he wanted to sell fast! Who knew!

So, this sucka is in really nice shape! I will have it set up for me this week. But it looks really clean and only needs some minor adjustments.

I'll see if I can load a photo!

·
Registered
713 Posts
Wow! That's a crazy good deal. Around my area I haven't seen an 82Z for less then $3000

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.