Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
Antigua Winds: SS 3159 Curved Soprano , Pro One Alto & Tenor w/Cryo Necks, BS 3220 low A Baritone
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just put money down on a Vito VSP Bari that is being set up while I print up some more money. :) It has the small " Vito VSP" logo on the bell, and the Yani' symbol engraved on the neck brace and below the serial number next to Japan. The serial number starts with 068xxxxx, and none of the list I've been able to find, tells the year it was made, or whether the model is a B-6 or a B-901 stencil. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

C

·
0 Posts
Have you looked here - http://www.doctorsax.biz/vito_ser_nos.htm

Looks like all Bari VSP's were made between 1980 & 86, except the serial numbers listed
don't correspond with yours. It shows a Yamaha serial range that fits in with yours and those
production dates are from the Mid/late 70s through Mid/late 80s. My Guess is between 80 and 86.
But it's a crappy guess ! As for model, I'm no help again ! The only mention of any models listed under
the VSP area show an A-600. Based on my crappy guess at the production date, my 2nd crappy
guess for the model would be a B-6 .

Perhaps someone else has something more concrete, I'll keep digging, let us know if you find something more definitive. Good luck !

C

·
0 Posts
Well maybe it's the 800/880 series. Check this out - http://woodwindforum.com/plugins/content/content.php?content.4

800/880 Series

In 1978 Yanagisawa began placing their name on their U.S. exported product with the advent of the 800 and 880 series of horns. There are still examples of stencils from this line of horn especially from Martin and Vito (specifically VSP's). This new line featured a total redesign of their line rather than an incremental change. The 880 models typically have underslung necks and double arms on the low bell keys.

These horns are the logical next step after the 6 series. Again, the design shows that the Selmer Mark VI was the horn they were trying to emulate. These horns are a further refinement to the 6 series.

I also read that the 3rd and 4th serial numbers are the year of manufacture. So my new guess would be
'80 something for the build date , and a 800/880 series.

·
Mouthpiece Refacer Extraordinaire and Forum Contri
3,407 Posts
My Vito VSP (high F#) has "901" by the serial number. Other earlier ones I've owned had only the SN.

·
Registered
Antigua Winds: SS 3159 Curved Soprano , Pro One Alto & Tenor w/Cryo Necks, BS 3220 low A Baritone
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'm sorry, I don't have any pictures right now. I'll work on getting some. My horn looks like this horn on the Saxpics site:

http://www.saxpics.com/the_gallery/yani/stencils/Vito/bari/

You guys are running into the same frustrations that I did. Thanks for your help, I also will continue to look. Thanks again.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member and Forum Contributor
4,379 Posts
EZ said:
My Vito VSP (high F#) has "901" by the serial number.
Same with mine.

·
Registered
304 Posts
Either way you have nothing to worry about. If yours looks exactly like the photos, then it's a true Yanagisawa with great ergonomics, solid sound, and superb intonation. If it doesn't have "901" stenciled on the horn near the serial number, then it's probably an 8XX, not a B-6 which is much older as I understand it. Not sure if the 8XXs have a double-arm low C key, but my VSP does, and it's not more than two or three years old.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
One more question, is the difference between the 800 and the 901 VSP baris new tonehole placement and high f# on the 901. If so , I think my VSP is a Yani' 800 stencil.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts