Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok guys, here's my deal: I'm going to music school, studying saxophone, converted to alto, etc. Started out playing clarinet (hence now I also have embouchure tightness problems) till 9th grade, played bari for 6 years since. It's been 8 semesters of college (four community, four uni) and in the past four let's just say I haven't been anywhere near "up to snuff". Somehow I got into the school, and I've been playing sax, but I'm consistantly hearing problems with my articulation (or rather my professor does/did, calling it "slap tonguing", which has been somewhat remedied). so that's problem numero uno as far as getting the proper, precise, subtle articulation needed (I keep hearing "tip of tongue top of teeth" but it doesn't translate well for me).
Second problem is how to get a much less tightened/pinched approach on the mouthpiece, which should somewhat remedy my intonation issues.
third problem, which rally isn't as extreme as the others is finger accuracy, i just need some help with alternate fingerings, and playing faster.
do you guys have any advice to offer me as far as how to improve all this? this summer's crucial for me in terms of getting back on track with my degree for music education (realistically I have 4 or 5 courses left not including my lessons) , so whatever you can say to me would be much appreciated.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Practice?
That all about it...
You should play everyday. Scales, arpegio, then some exercise to increase your speed, then a piece that you know, try to improvise on the scale of your peice, and then begin to work on a new one.
That's all I do with the clarinet, and what I plan to do with the sax, when I'll get one.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts