Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been playing tenor for the past 5 years and my sax teacher told me to get an alto to play, along with tenor, in college. I'm getting a Yamaha YAS-875EX, and I really have no idea what kind of jazz mouthpiece to get. On tenor I use a metal otto link STM 7 and I really like it, so I'm wondering what kind of jazz mouthpiece is going to feel similar to that.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Russ said:
Err, how about a metal otto link STM 7 ?? ;)

I've always been told that otto links don't work as well for alto as they do for tenor. But I guess that's not the case?

·
Banned
4,517 Posts
saxymoose said:
I've always been told that otto links don't work as well for alto as they do for tenor. But I guess that's not the case?
No, Otto Links in Many OPINIONS don't sound as good on Alto. They sound great on Tenor, but you will want to play different mouthpieces to see which one you like more. I personally use the Meyer 7M on Alto. Try the Link, if you like the sound go with it. As for Mouthpieces it might help to know the price range that you were looking on spending.

I hope this helps. :cool:

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Forum Contributor 2007
1,142 Posts
Hey Saxymoose,
I have a couple of suggestions for you. First and foremost, try to get somewhere that you can try out a variety of mouthpieces. That will help you more than anything. As far as actually makes and models go, I would suggest trying out a Vandoren V16 A6S, a Meyer 6M or 7M, and a Morgan Excalibur 7E. They're all middle of the road pieces that are flexible enough to use in a variety of settings (big band, saxo quartet, etc.) I think that between those three pieces you'll be able to find something you like. Good luck.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
4,147 Posts
Since you play a Link on tenor the most logical step is a Meyer, but just try a lot of stuff out as mentioned previously.

·
Registered
762 Posts
Carbs said:
No, Otto Links in Many OPINIONS don't sound as good on Alto.

There are just as many opinions going the other way. Mine one of them. :)

It also depends what you want to do with it. If your playing rock or R&B, don't lean towards the Link, but it will be quite suitable in this situation.

I used to use a Link on Alto with a BG Revelation Jazz Lig and was very pleased with the combo, but I tried the same combo on my Tenor and was very dissapointed.

saxymoose, unless you try it for yourself, you'll never know, and if you don't like it, it's one off your list. To each his own.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
480 Posts
I'll second the Morgan. Great piece for alto. I had an STM for alto once and try as I might, I couldn't get a good sound out of it.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Try to see if maybe you could get a older Meyer. Those sound amazing. I dont know to much about the new ones except for the limited edition one from a couple years back.

·
Registered
337 Posts
I play a metal link on tenor, have for some time. A meyer 8M was a killer piece for this, I then ended up years later on a Meyer 5M, both Hard Rubber. Now I play a Dukoff on alto, but the Meyer sneaks back in here and there.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts