Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Banned
2,991 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
just wanted to say hi to everyone from australia - melbourne to be precise

i'm a "late bloomer" - seems to be quite a few on these boards so i feel quite comfortable.

i come from having played violin for nearly thirty years on a sometime professional, but mostly amateur basis.

one day - about three weeks ago - i up and got myself a yamaha yts23 and i'm commited. love the sax. it's so "human" and compared to the violin, so reflective in how it lends itself to my particular expression.

lots of great information on this site and invaluable for a new-comer like myself.

·
Banned
2,991 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
thanks guys

i expect to be learning a lot in the next few years and then some more after that.

·
Banned
2,991 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
claxton said:
Howdy, mate!

Or something like that... from a hillbilly to an Aussie...nice to have another late bloomer newbie on board!
mate is perfectly acceptable

·
Banned
2,991 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
i guess what i'm trying to say that for me, sax is more like "where i'm at"

violin was like a try-hard type thing. hard to explain but there it is.

·
Banned
2,991 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
jrvinson45 said:
Marton,
Welcome to the world of the saxophone addict. The only question I have for you right now is ... Dog's body????
thanks for the welcom jrvinson

have you been visiting one of my sites by any chance?

the use of "dog's body" here in aus, refers to someone who does a little bit of everything and is not highly qualified in any of them.

·
Banned
2,991 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
jrvinson45 said:
Marton,
Thanks for the education. I wouldn't know where to begin finding your other sites; however, I did take a peek at your user profile and found that particular part amusing.

I guess over here, I've always heard of that as the expression "Jack of all trades and master of none."
basically the same thing here

i'm a freelance photographer/designer and writer, so if people ask what i do for a living, which they inevitably do, i tell 'em that i'm a "dog's body"

·
Banned
2,991 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
RootyTootoot said:
Welcome marton!!

You're not a rugby fan are you? :twisted: ;)

Seriously: I also came to playing the sax as an adult and have always felt it offered a more direct form of self-expression than my other instruments.

Hope you enjoy the forum.
thanks rtt

rugby? not a fan of sports as such, so no. australia lost to england or something though i believe; it was on the news.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts