Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I found a Buffet Crampon Clarinet that someone is asking $80.00 for. It has the Buffet- Crampon logo on the case, but not on the instrument.
There is some fine engraving that has a serial number (?) The number is 101483. Under that is engraved Made in Germany. Can anyone tell me a little about this instrument and it's approximate value? It looks to be in good shape.

·
Registered
5,901 Posts
I found a Buffet Crampon Clarinet that someone is asking $80.00 for. It has the Buffet- Crampon logo on the case, but not on the instrument.
There is some fine engraving that has a serial number (?) The number is 101483. Under that is engraved Made in Germany. Can anyone tell me a little about this instrument and it's approximate value? It looks to be in good shape.
I'd stay away from it, I don't think Buffets ever came with no logo on it and for $80 it can't be much. It probably needs an overhaul which will cost more than it's worth.

Phil Barone

·
Registered
640 Posts
Hello, and welcome.

That is probably a B10 or B12, because it is plastic the engraving probably was erased by time. Pricing seems about right if it is in playing condition, otherwise you'll probably end up spending more than what the clarinet is worth putting it in playing condition.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2015-
32,933 Posts
If it plays acceptably, it is worth $80. Beyond that, it is difficult to tell anything from your image except that it resembles a clarinet.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
TENOR, soprano, alto, baritone
7,404 Posts
Like I resemble a clarinet player! LOL. They mercifully took me off 'the stick' and gave me a baritone sax in 1957, which is when I started to get very interested.

·
Registered
60 Posts
If you get it in the right light, you may just be able to make out the logo still on the barrel and/or upper joint. I almost think I can see it in that photo, but I might be imagining it.

·
Distinguished SOTW member, musician, technician &
4,982 Posts
Looks like plastic and made in Germany then like someone said it's probably a B10 or B12. They used to have "painted" logos and model names that easily wore off (maybe they still do, but I don't think it's made anymore, at least not with that model name). That's an excellent price as long as it's in half decent condition. FWIW the current B12 equivalent seems to cost about $650 new.

It's not possible to know anything from the photo except there's something weird at the top of the upper section.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts