Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,567 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have any of the major mental health organizations yet designated GAS as a valid mental illness? I think I need treatment.

Despite the fact that my credit card is maxed out, and I have no money in my Chequing (Canadian spelling) account, I have a few hundred dollars in my savings account to cover some bills that'll be coming out of my account at the end of the month, I still managed to bid on a Pan American tenor on eBay.
Since I'm planning on buying a MusicMedic repair kit and eventually going to school for woodwind repair, I've been watching the prices of project horns on eBay (dangerous, I know).
So I won a Pan Am Tenor that needs a bunch of dent work before anything else for $76("Well, I'm planning on buying tools and learning dent work eventually." he tells himself.) So, this $76 plus hundreds of dollars in tools and supplies and I'll have myself an $800 horn.

So I have to borrow some money from my girlfriend (who's luckily a pianist and multi-instrumentalist (accordian, toy piano, musical saw, contact mics, toy percussion,etc,etc...), so she understands in a way that's possibly unhealthy for both of us) for the few days between my loan payment and my paycheque.

Anyway, what I'm trying to get at is: Is there a doctor somewhere who can declare me mentally unfit to work so I can collect unemployment insurance and practice all day? Working a desk job with access to the internet is a serious danger to the health of my bank account and those around me.

·
Registered
1,567 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I guess this gives me an excuse to buy a Tenor mouthpiece, though....

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2007-
5,528 Posts
Sorry Shane...

This place is less like AA and more like the local bar that runs an endless tab.

·
Registered
1,567 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Enviroguy said:
Sorry Shane...

This place is less like AA and more like the local bar that runs an endless tab.
Really? Do you mean some forum members will run me a tab? Phil....I'll take one of those Copper Baritone Necks.........

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2007-
5,528 Posts
I don't think Phil listens to anything but cold hard cash. Maybe you should talk to Quinn the Eskimo. He seems more like the type to offer easy monthly payments..

·
Registered
680 Posts
Compulsive hoarding is thought by many to be a subtype of obsessive-compulsive disorder (OCD). People are thought to have a compulsive hoarding problem when they meet all three of these criteria:

* They regularly keep a large number of possessions that most people would not consider to be very useful or valuable.
* Their home, or parts of their home, are so cluttered that they can no longer use those parts of their home for their intended purpose.
* The clutter is so bad that it causes significant distress or impairment.

The causes of compulsive hoarding are not known, but researchers think that it results from problems in one or more of these areas:

* Information processing (e.g., problems categorizing or making decisions)
* Beliefs about possessions (e.g., a sense of attachment to possessions, or fears of forgetting things)
* Emotional distress about discarding, which leads to avoidance of discarding

Treatment for compulsive hoarding is still in the experimental stage. Most medications that are useful for OCD do not appear to be as useful for compulsive hoarding. Cognitive-behavioral therapy, in which the therapist visits the person’s home and helps them learn how to manage the clutter and make appropriate decisions about discarding, may be helpful.

·
Registered
1,567 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Carbs said:
I would offer easy monthly payments. However I would probably find myself in a leg breaking mood :cool: if you don't pay up.:cool: :cool: :cool: :D :D :D

Gee thanks, Carbs,
That might be just the ticket for some Worker's Compensation and those weeks of intense practice I've been looking for. There's just too many stairs at my work for me to take out all that garbage on crutches.......

·
Registered
1,567 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Pgraves said:
Compulsive hoarding is thought by many to be a subtype of obsessive-compulsive disorder (OCD). People are thought to have a compulsive hoarding problem when they meet all three of these criteria......
Wow. That's funny. I work in a non-profit skid row hotel that houses the 'difficult to house' (people with drug addictions, mental illnesses, or both.)
We have a number of people suffering from OCD who have serious hoarding problems (If we don't watch it, their rooms become completely useless for anything beyond storage of their junk. We just finished cleaning out the room of a 75 year old man who passed away whose room was packed to the gills with useless items (one day while working in there I found 15 pairs of needle nose pliers).
I'd never really thought that I might have the same affliction as them in my GAS.

Makes me wonder about Bird, Coltrane and Dolphy's obsessive practicing.
I wonder if they had OCD?

Are you a licenced physician? Can you write me a doctor's note?

·
Registered
1,567 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
playitfunky said:
I'm just now getting into buying lots of gear. I love it baby the more the better, just don't forget to practice.
I don't, I tend to buy gear on the internet when I'm at work and can't practice/have time to kill. Of course, if i didn't buy so much gear I wouldn't need to work so much...vicious cycle.

·
Registered
680 Posts
Funny "haha" or funny "funny"

" Makes me wonder about Bird, Coltrane and Dolphy's obsessive practicing."

My pet theory is that focus and concentration required to get good at anything, or even to put in the hours required to attempt it, is closely related to OCD.
It's a basic human trait/ability. OCD is just too much of it in your brain wiring.

Have none = slacker
Have just right = fully realize whatever talent you have
Have too much of it = OCD = not so much fun

1 - 15 of 15 Posts