Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,
I am new to the forum here and just wanted to introduce myself. My name is Jon De Lucia, I am a saxophone and woodwind teacher/performer in NYC, specifically Brooklyn. I teach all over the city, and frequently out of Michiko's Rehearsal Studios in Roberto's Woodwinds. I have been teaching for 10 years, half of the time in Boston where I am from, and the last 5 years in New York.
I play primarily alto, but recently more and more soprano and some flute.
You can hear my first record from 2006 at www.cdbaby.com/jondeluciagroup. It features my original jazz compositions with Nir Felder, Leo Genovese, Garth Stevenson and Ziv Ravitz.
Next week I am recording a new CD of my baroque improvising trio, the Luce Trio, for which we have a kickstarter page setup: http://kck.st/qEu27i.
Thanks for checking me out! I'd love to talk about the process of arranging the music of Bach and Handel for saxophone trio.

·
Banned
3,043 Posts
Hey Jon - I think having a Baroque improvising trio is a great idea. To me that music, and Bach, share the common ground of forward motion (with the 8th note as its basic unit), improvisation and chromaticism (Baroque to a lesser extent), but Bach certainly DID use flat 9's over dominant chords at the very least. I always thought of Baroque as almost a predecessor to Be Bop.

·
Forum Contributor 2016, The official SOTW Little S
5,472 Posts
I really, really love your tone, especially in the upper register. I will admit that I'm not a biggest fan of free jazz, but I could listen to your album all day long. I like what you did on Edo Komoriuta. I believe it's really creative to bring an instrument into a type of music where it is not very traditional. Best of luck to you!

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks so much Evan, I'm glad you like the idea. There certainly are flat nines in the Bach cantata we're playing along with the 3 part invention (sinfonia 11). A lot of jazz musicians (jacques loussier, john lewis, dan tepfer etc) especially piano players, have tried this combination before, but I think where we are different is in focusing more on arias, slower movements, and ethereal quality. The invention 11 was a recent addition for variety, we'll see if it's good enough to record on tuesday.
Thanks bluesax as well, edo was one of my most enjoyable studio experiences, it was just one take. I think next week's church recording will match it in ambience.
Here's another live video of the group.

Luce Trio on Kickstarter: http://kck.st/qEu27i

1 - 4 of 4 Posts