Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
Yamaha YAS-26 Alto
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I began my saxophone journey in 1966 (11 years old.) I'm 66 now and want to get back to playing, mostly for my own enjoyment. I stopped playing after high school but would drag the horn out of the closet now and then when my kids were young. I played tenor back then but sold that horn years ago.

I now have a Yamaha YAS-26 that I picked up used off of eBay. It seems like a nice horn and easy to play well even through my rusty technique.

I'm sure I'll have some questions for the forum now and again as I renew my musical journey.

Best regards!

·
Registered
2,105 Posts
Welcome. You've got about a decade on me. I highly recommend joining a community band or some other group. It's a lot more fun to play with others, and it forces you to play well.

Some things I've found at my age, my embouchure strength isn't what it used to be, and neither is my memory. My technique and sight-reading are probably a little worse. But my sound is still quite nice, and my solos are much more melodic and better constructed than they were in my youth. Overall, I'm happy with where I am. I can still make good music and get a lot of enjoyment and satisfaction from it.

·
Registered
Tenor, alto, Bb Clarinet, Flute
2,354 Posts
Welcome. There is a ton of information here. I’m always amazed at the wealth of knowledge members have.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Welcome!!!!! I too am new and hope to see you around the forum!

·
Registered
42 Posts
Welcome to SOTW! I think there are a number of us newish people who are starting or re-starting after a long layoff, so you're in good company.

How's the transition from tenor to alto? I hear the embouchure can be quite different.

Now go practice :cool:

·
Registered
1,583 Posts
I began my saxophone journey in 1966 (11 years old.) I'm 66 now and want to get back to playing, mostly for my own enjoyment. I stopped playing after high school but would drag the horn out of the closet now and then when my kids were young. I played tenor back then but sold that horn years ago.

I now have a Yamaha YAS-26 that I picked up used off of eBay. It seems like a nice horn and easy to play well even through my rusty technique.

I'm sure I'll have some questions for the forum now and again as I renew my musical journey.

Best regards!
Welcome Saxomaine, You and I are in the same age group as I will be 66 in November. I started on clarinet in 67 and moved on to the sax in 69. I stopped after high school but then returned to playing when my kids got started in band in the late 80's. Since that time I've taken a lot of lessons, played in community bands, jammed with friends and have spent countless hours playing with the Jamie Aebersold band. It has been a wonderful creative outlet that has also helped me keep my mind sharp. So, my only advice is to find a good teacher that also plays sax. It will definitely help you progress faster.

·
Registered
Yamaha YAS-26 Alto
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I played tenor a long time ago in high school.
Any playing I've done since then has been on an alto.
Embouchure seems to be coming along and fingering is also coming back to me.

Thanks everyone!

·
Registered
2,644 Posts
Welcome I to started my journey late in life, I did not play in in schools but wish I had, enjoy the journey

·
Registered
1,010 Posts
I find that the best advice I give to new or returning players of single-note instruments is to purchase a play-along program. PG Music offers a very good one, Band-in-a-box, for around 100 bucks. That’s about the cost of three lessons at a shop. It’s easy to learn and use, and there are hundreds of tunes available for it; you won’t need to spend a lot of time entering chord changes yourself.

So, that along with a few fake books to improve music reading skill and in 6-9 months you’ll be ready to show up at jams or to join a community band and hold your own. Believe me, it works.

·
Registered
3,333 Posts
I find that the best advice I give to new or returning players of single-note instruments is to purchase a play-along program. PG Music offers a very good one, Band-in-a-box, for around 100 bucks. That’s about the cost of three lessons at a shop. It’s easy to learn and use, and there are hundreds of tunes available for it; you won’t need to spend a lot of time entering chord changes yourself.

So, that along with a few fake books to improve music reading skill and in 6-9 months you’ll be ready to show up at jams or to join a community band and hold your own. Believe me, it works.
Having used Band in a Box for many years, I vastly prefer the iRealPro app. A) It runs on Mac, Windows, iPad and iPhone. B) To my ears, the jazz swing and bossa rhythms sound better C) The whole of the real book, with all its warts, is available for free. D) It's easier to use. E) It's cheaper.

·
Registered
Yamaha YAS-26 Alto
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·

Thank you very much for the suggestions!

·
Registered
Yamaha YAS-26 Alto
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Having used Band in a Box for many years, I vastly prefer the iRealPro app. A) It runs on Mac, Windows, iPad and iPhone. B) To my ears, the jazz swing and bossa rhythms sound better C) The whole of the real book, with all its warts, is available for free. D) It's easier to use. E) It's cheaper.
Thank you very much for the suggestions!

·
Registered
Yamaha YAS-26 Alto
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Can you tell me where I can find the Real Book? Thanks!

·
Registered
3,333 Posts
Can you tell me where I can find the Real Book? Thanks!
If you mean where to find the Real Book charts for iRealPro - there is a forum, and you can download from there. You should be able to find that in the help section of the app or go to iReal Pro Forums. Be aware these are just chord charts - for the melody notation you have to actually buy the Real Book :)

1 - 20 of 20 Posts