Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Read Only
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited by Moderator)
Hey all! New to the forum and I figured I'd use my platform (albeit however small) to educate you on Kaoru Abe, a fantastic free jazz player. I looked at the previous posts on this website and saw that his name was mentioned less than the number of fingers on the average saxophone player's hand(with at least two being "who tf is that???"), so wanted to show you perhaps my favorite saxophone player of all time. He and Eric Dolphy really influenced my musical upbringing, but Dolphy gets talked about a lot on here, so I figured I'd do my part and spread my knowledge about this niche subject.

Thanks all, and have a wonderful day!

·
Read Only
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Is this your go-to pickup line?
Great because no has ever gotten it....
"On a scale of one to Kaoru Abe, how free are you tonight?"
I literally thought of it as I was making this account and I will absolutely be using it regularly in the future.

You are right though. I used it once with my coworker and she said "what are you talking about?" She took listening to it fairly well for about 10 minutes.

·
Registered
51 Posts
I like Gebhard Ullmann, a Berlin-based saxophonist and bass clarinet player, very much. In Germany this style is not calles "free jazz", but "free improvisation"
Some examples:

Hope you like it.

·
Out of Office
Grafton + TH & C alto || Naked Lady 10M || TT soprano || Martin Comm III
30,105 Posts
She took listening to it fairly well for about 10 minutes.
I had a girlfriend once who came to gig. I asked her at the interval what she thought. "Sorry, I didn't really like it it, it almost sounded like you were making it up as you went along."

It's odd though, although I ended up mostly as a blues player, myb eraly influnces were free music - stuff like Coltrane, Hapshash and the Coloured Coat, Ornette Coleman, Prince Lasha, John Stevens and Maggie Nicols.

·
Premium Member
1,317 Posts
Thank you! I just purchased remastered, extended versions of their first 2 albums. Great stuff!
I played with the Third Ear Band in the 80's. I was using my WX7 and Soprano. Glen thought the WX was cool. We rehearsed usually around at Glenn's place which I think was in west London (Hounslow rings a bell) we also played a couple of festivals and a few local gigs. The numbers were never really set in cement as far as arranging went and they nearly always kicked off with Glen. We had a midi violin player and a bassist.
I think that line up lasted for about a year before I left the UK. I was playing in quite a few different line ups at the time which ranged from NYJO and various big bands to free jazz ensembles and more mundane function band work but it was all an education for sure. Thanks for the reminder. I'd quite forgotten that I'd played with them until I saw your post!

·
Registered
VI Soprano, Searchlight Alto, TH&C Tenor
1,405 Posts
I played with the Third Ear Band in the 80's. I was using my WX7 and Soprano. Glen thought the WX was cool.
Fantastic. Listening to the earlier stuff, I got to admit I wondered about substituting a soprano for the oboe in that original ensemble. I've only seen electric winds in concert a couple of times. (Including the Residents' Cube E show and a shot where Allen and Gilmore were on some great early models supporting Sun Ra. And someone in a combo called LSQ who interchanged the soprano with an EW throughout. I thought it was quite compelling.)

Any recordings we can hear you on?

·
Premium Member
1,317 Posts
Fantastic. Listening to the earlier stuff, I got to admit I wondered about substituting a soprano for the oboe in that original ensemble. I've only seen electric winds in concert a couple of times. (Including the Residents' Cube E show and a shot where Allen and Gilmore were on some great early models supporting Sun Ra. And someone in a combo called LSQ who interchanged the soprano with an EW throughout. I thought it was quite compelling.)

Any recordings we can hear you on?
No recordings with that line-up unfortunately. I have many on my Soundcloud account Alex Nyman

I am working with a good friend in the US on an album which features his keyboards and hand drums and my saxophones and winds. In some ways quite similar.

·
Premium Member
1,317 Posts
Just getting back to the title of this thread heavy free jazz influences I would have to cite Evan Parker as my main influence when it comes to free playing. He’s been mentioned often enough on SOTW but there’s been no other player who resonates more than Evan with me. Having met him at a recording session at Maida Vale I asked him what he practiced and he replied that he didn’t when it came to playing free. I liked that answer. I was heavily into free playing in my late teens (until earning a living became important) and played at a number of places where it was cool. Free playing had a big following in the UK in the 70’s and a wealth of bands were out on tour during that period. I’m currently incorporating free playing into some of my recorded material here at home.

·
Read Only
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Just getting back to the title of this thread heavy free jazz influences I would have to cite Evan Parker as my main influence when it comes to free playing. He's been mentioned often enough on SOTW but there's been no other player who resonates more than Evan with me. Having met him at a recording session at Maida Vale I asked him what he practiced and he replied that he didn't when it came to playing free. I liked that answer. I was heavily into free playing in my late teens (until earning a living became important) and played at a number of places where it was cool. Free playing had a big following in the UK in the 70's and a wealth of bands were out on tour during that period. I'm currently incorporating free playing into some of my recorded material here at home.
That's what I like about playing free- I don't ever "practice" playing freely, and I find the things I can't do in regular practice or reading I can do in playing free jazz. On my alto I'm lucky to hit the fourth overtone, but when I'm playing free jazz I regularly hit 6 or 7 overtones what I'm playing. It also allows me to experiment on instruments I don't get to play often- a played a baroque recorder the other day and loved it.

I just looked up Evan and see he's still kicking it. I hope he's passing on the same amount of knowledge to the new heads nowadays as he was back then.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts