Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
278 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So this past weekend I had a freshmen sax player get heat exhaustion almost heat stroke,and it was only a carwash. I wonder how well they will take the summer practices. It didn't really shock me that someone would get it (I was ready incase someone did and I knew what to do); but what concerns me is the fact that the person said nothing to anyone and know one noticed it happening, and the signs were all there nausea, not sweating, very strange behavior, for goodness sake they were shivering in the middle of summer. I'm just glad I looked up and saw it before it got worse. You know I'm not a drum major or a section leader but yet I'm the only one noticing that. Also this really isnt showing very good unity for a marching band. I would like to know if there is anything I can tell my section (though I'm not the section leader) that may get some sense into them? Any advise is very appriciated.
 

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Forum Contributor 2008
Joined
·
830 Posts
Yeah, tell them that for every hour in the sun, they should drink at least one to two liters of water, more if it is strenuous activity. Camelbacks are good, although expensive. Make sure that they get enough electrolytes and salt (sodium) also. One of the many dangers of heatstroke is DEATH.

EDIT: NO SODA!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
85 Posts
Hotspur said:
So this past weekend I had a freshmen sax player get heat exhaustion almost heat stroke,and it was only a carwash. I wonder how well they will take the summer practices. It didn't really shock me that someone would get it (I was ready incase someone did and I knew what to do); but what concerns me is the fact that the person said nothing to anyone and know one noticed it happening, and the signs were all there nausea, not sweating, very strange behavior, for goodness sake they were shivering in the middle of summer. I'm just glad I looked up and saw it before it got worse. You know I'm not a drum major or a section leader but yet I'm the only one noticing that. Also this really isnt showing very good unity for a marching band. I would like to know if there is anything I can tell my section (though I'm not the section leader) that may get some sense into them? Any advise is very appriciated.
I grew up playing the trumpet in Florida, where we frequently marched in 80 degree weather for parades. At one point, so many kids were passing out during these that the county instituted a rule whereby all band members had to be resting for 1/2 prior to the start of the parade and were required to drink gatorade and take salt tablets.

bigtiny
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,567 Posts
jazzbluescat said:
Except for the military they ought to outlaw marching band.
Except for the marching band they ought to outlaw the military.
 

·
SOTW Administrator
Joined
·
26,208 Posts
littlemanbighorn said:
Except for the marching band they ought to outlaw the military.

Outlaw them both.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
647 Posts
Heat stroke can be very treacherous. Sometimes you don't even see or feel it coming. You feel all right one moment (or you think you do) the next moment you're on the ground senseless.
The best way to prevent it is to make these kids take lots of liquids (water, gatorade, etc) even when they're not thirsty, wear a hat, and sunglasses.
 

·
SOTW Administrator
Joined
·
26,208 Posts
jazzbluescat said:
Naw Man, I like Sousa's stuff, and the Marine Band and the Army Band that play fifes and drums, very cool.
I didn't mean don't play marches, they're fun to play (and I played plenty in the Hawaii County Band). I meant outlaw bands that march---and the military.
 

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Forum Contributor 2014
Joined
·
26,362 Posts
hakukani said:
I didn't mean don't play marches, they're fun to play (and I played plenty in the Hawaii County Band). I meant outlaw bands that march---and the military.
Are you a hippie? ;)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
115 Posts
Yes drink plenty of fluids, BUT No 'Diet' drinks. The 'diet component is usually a diuretic. The more you drink, the more you urinate, and therefore the more dehydrated you get.

Water is best and for recovery a product like 'Dioralyte' (sp?) a salt compound to rebalance the electrolytes.

Btw, it is also an excellent hangover cure.
 

·
SOTW Administrator
Joined
·
26,208 Posts
jazzbluescat said:
Are you a hippie? ;)
Naw, I'm too young. You had to be 18 by 1969 to be a REAL hippie.

Ms. hakukani is a real hippie.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,567 Posts
hakukani said:
I didn't mean don't play marches, they're fun to play (and I played plenty in the Hawaii County Band). I meant outlaw bands that march---and the military.
What about New Orleans-style marching bands? Reading Bechet's autobiography made me wish I was born a hundred years earlier in New Orleans.
 

·
SOTW Columnist and Forum Contributor 2015-2016
Joined
·
3,832 Posts
I was a victim of heat exhaustion a few summers ago. Too much time in the sun, outside, playing with the kids and not enough fluids. Pretty soon I was on the couch, and my face started burning up and my eyes started tearing uncontrollably. I was disoriented and couldn't really make sense of anything. A trip to the hospital and 3 liters of fluids later, I felt like I could run a marathon.

Water is your friend. Gatorade works too if you're marching alot, but water is the best thing for your body.

Saxaholic
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
85 Posts
I agree with the outlawing of marching bands and the military! =:)

It's interesting, when you live somewhere that's tropical or sub-tropical, you develop a healthy respect for the sun. Since moving to New England I've been amazed at how cavalier people are in the summertime. They've just never seen the harm that the sun can do in short order....

bigtiny
 

·
Distinguished SOTW Member and Columnist, Forum Con
Joined
·
3,801 Posts
I used to love marching band, but then maybe that was a mid-western US thang. In high school it meant that you got to travel and compete in yet another event. Done correctly a marching band is a thing of beauty. Anyone here see the movie 'Drumline'?

I saw a lot of soldiers go down for heat exhaustion/strokes. One of them told me, the next day in the hospital, that he didn't understand it. He said he had two cups of coffee that morning! :shock:
 

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Forum Contributor 2014
Joined
·
26,362 Posts
hakukani said:
Naw, I'm too young. You had to be 18 by 1969 to be a REAL hippie.

Ms. hakukani is a real hippie.
Cool and far out, Man, peace.:flower:

Gandalfe said:
I used to love marching band, but then maybe that was a mid-western US thang. In high school it meant that you got to travel and compete in yet another event. Done correctly a marching band is a thing of beauty. Anyone here see the movie 'Drumline'?

I saw a lot of soldiers go down for heat exhaustion/strokes. One of them told me, the next day in the hospital, that he didn't understand it. He said he had two cups of coffee that morning! :shock:
Not just mid-west, the HS bands around here try to emulate either drum&bugle corp style marching or Florida A&M dancing. The parents love it.
 

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2009
Joined
·
3,204 Posts
I'm experienced in heat strokes (I hate heat, I faint about ten to fifteen times a year during or after a performance because of that bloody temperature).

Players of wind instruments are more susceptible, because they tend to hyperventilate naturally while playing, and get trouble with blood pressure as well : you put pressure on your head, blood goes away, and since your veins open in the rest of your body, your blood pressure is lower already. Result : no blood in your brains, so you hit the ground again.

Three things are important :
- when walking in the sun : put something on your head, that allows your head to air too (no black caps, hats in leather and other things). When not having to walk in the sun, stay in the shadow. Wear light clothing (both in color as in tissue).

- drink enough water, lightly salted.

- don't play too powerful : you might end up losing your conscience by hyperventilation. Balance your breath, don't go to the forte.

Other things that make a huge difference :
- whether or not you're fit, had enough sleep, ...
- coffee, cigarettes, alcohol (all bad influences)

One thing they all should care about : if you go down, you take your instrument with you...
 
1 - 19 of 19 Posts
Top