Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
2,384 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
And if your response is "Heard who?", that's probably about right, in terms of how it goes in the jazz world -- and that's out of whack, because Joe Ford is one of those journeymen jazz players who is under the radar screen but blowin' away folks who know about him...

I first heard him on MyCoy Tyner's Focal Point (great record, by the way!). What I didn't know is that he's originally from my adopted home town of Buffalo, so last night's gig was a sort of homecoming for him.

He was playing in drummer Nasar Abadey's Supernova -- and the quartet, based in D.C., I think, was KILLIN', playing all originals and evoking Trane's and McCoy's bands over the years, swinging and not swinging and going inside and outside and all over the place...

They're on tour, and if they show up in your neck of the woods, they're worthy -- check 'em out!

·
1,228 Posts
Joe's been killin' for a long time. I first met him back in the mid 70's when he was working in McCoy Tyner's band. They were working at the Village Gate a lot and I would ride into the city with my friend Charles Fambrough, who was bassist in the band. Joe was playing lots of soprano and flute in addition to his alto. Joe's the total package when it comes to music and musicianship....it's always a treat to hear him.

·
Registered
591 Posts
I envy you... He has been my favourite on Soprano and Alto ever since I first listened to Charles Fambrough's "The proper Angle". Later I discovered him playing in Jerry Gonzales' Fort Apache Band. He only has one CD out as a leader though. Does anyone know it?

·
Registered
1,844 Posts
He is and has long been one of my favorite saxophonists, much under appreciated. I have been wondering where and with whom he has been working.

·
1,228 Posts
He's also on the new recording by the band known as "Lines Of Reason." It's called "Ask Again."

·
Registered
591 Posts
Thanks sideC, but I also bought Larry Willis' Sanctuary and Jerry Gonzales' Earthdance. Will definitely check out Lines Of Reason in the future though.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts