Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I actually got to try the S20 today... and my mom has me freaked out. She said "what if there is lead or hazardous materials in it"... or mold or spores or something? It looked well taken care of and clean, but since it was from the 50's who knows what's in it. Hell asbestos seemed good back than, as was lead o_O

Just a little on the freaked out side. Does anyone know if the S20 contains any hazardous materials than? So I'm wasting your time posting this in efforts to cool my nerves. :bluewink:

(So I can sleep without freakin' out about how I found the perfect Horn but now I'm afraid of it!)

·
Distinguished SOTW member/, Official SOTW Sister
19,329 Posts
Tell your Momma to save her Drama. It's perfectly safe for you to play. :)
If you're a little worried about anything that might be 'growing' inside, just run a barely damp swab through it a couple of times.
Enjoy that new to you horn!

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Logician
26,623 Posts
Now mouthpieces may be another matter. Some time ago, there were conversations here in regard to the possibility of lead leaching from brass mouthpieces when the plating had worn. Quite frankly, this concerned me somewhat, but many thought it was rather silly. Well just now while looking up lead content in brass, I came across this on Wikipedia:
To enhance the machinability of brass, lead is often added in concentrations of around 2%. Since lead has a lower melting point than the other constituents of the brass, it tends to migrate towards the grain boundaries in the form of globules as it cools from casting. The pattern the globules form on the surface of the brass increases the available lead surface area which in turn affects the degree of leaching. In addition, cutting operations can smear the lead globules over the surface. These effects can lead to significant lead leaching from brasses of comparatively low lead content.
The source cited for this was Stagnation Time, Composition, pH, and Orthophosphate Effects on Metal Leaching from Brass. Washington DC: United States Environmental Protection Agency. September 1996. p. 7. EPA/600/R-96/103.

Now when it states that cutting operations can lead to significant lead leaching even from brasses of comparatively low lead content, could refacing be considered a "cutting operation"? If so... YIKES. :yikes!:

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
13,201 Posts
I think the cutting operations that do this would be from the heat of machining brass, not slowly sanding it.

Anyway, I have better things to worry about.

If I get a little too much lead I will just kill brain cells, in the end I wont be smart enough to worry!

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hehe. Alright xD Just kinda wierd ya know, everyone tells us that's so bad and that kind of freaked me out.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Forum Contributor 2014
28,515 Posts
Lead is a component in the brass used to make saxophones both new and old. Are you going to eat it or play it?
Not saying you're totally incorrect as far as lead content is concerned, but brass is an alloy consisting of copper and zinc(?).

·
Distinguished SOTW member/, Official SOTW Sister
19,329 Posts
Maybe this is the reason behind the white gloves.... :/

·
Registered
260 Posts
Maybe this is the reason behind the white gloves.... :/
Hee Hee

As far as health problems from playing a vintage horn, there isn't anything to really worry about as long as you don't lick the horn :lick:

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
5,473 Posts
Okay, I'll settle this once and for all...

Send me the horn and I'll play with it for a while, say 5 - 10 years, and report back to you on any ill health effects. Yeah, I know, it's a sacrifice, it's a dirty job but someone has to do it. I might as well take one for the team. Then you'll know for sure (well, ~95% certainty anyway) that it's safe for you and your mom.

No charge! Oh, wait, okay, I'll even pay the shipping! Both ways!

(Can't believe no one else thought of this yet!)

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #13

Send me the horn and I'll play with it for a while, say 5 - 10 years, and report back to you on any ill health effects. Yeah, I know, it's a sacrifice, it's a dirty job but someone has to do it. I might as well take one for the team. Then you'll know for sure (well, ~95% certainty anyway) that it's safe for you and your mom.

ha +1 I was laughing so hard

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Forum Contributor 2014
28,515 Posts

Shameful. :D

·
Registered
2,256 Posts

·
Registered
847 Posts
If I get a little too much lead I will just kill brain cells, in the end I wont be smart enough to worry!
As Mose Allison says in his latest Album song , My Brain - ( a skit on My Babe)

"My Brain is losing power, 1200 neurons every hour , My Brain"

Blowhard2

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2013
4,466 Posts
You're bound to die eventually. If you live your life worrying about all that's out there that can or will kill you-you're paralyzed, so drink a ton of booze, do all the drugs you can get your hands on--smoke like a chimney-make love with every skank that comes down the pike but most of all play that filthy horn. I guarantee-you're going to die eventually-may as well enjoy yourself getting there.
When did folks become such scaredy cats--and why? and OP-Stop listening to your mother-

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
But if I start doing drugs I'll have to pull a Charlie Parker?

Haha and I'm a kid still xD I listen to my parents :/ Never really a rebelious one

·
Registered
7 Posts
so drink a ton of booze, do all the drugs you can get your hands on
That didn't work out so well for The Bird though, did it? But, I do agree about worrying less about what might be in the sax, and focussing more on what you can make come out of it.

I did have an issue with a haunted alto that, when played in public, drove people into a frenzy. They would clamp their hands to their ears and rush about blindly in an effort to escape the ghostly horror emitted from the bell. Once they had made enough distance from the unspeakable eldritch influence that spake unto them, they returned to normal, though they could never look me in the eye when I left the hall... creepy...

*tops up wine glass*

Cheers everyone!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts