Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
3,875 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Both of these come out on August 28.

Eric Alexander - Temple of Olympic Zeus (Highnote Records)

Chris Potter - Follow the Red Line: Live at the Village Vanguard (Sunnyside Records)

The Potter CD is the Live CD for his Underground band. I remember him mentioning that they just recorded it when I saw them in February.

·
Forum Contributor 2008/Distinguished SOTW Member
3,295 Posts
So far I'm digging "Song for Anyone" a lot. "Red line" is very entertaining. Chris' playing can be like watching a gymnast and in this way I appreciate "Red Line", however, "Song" is certainly more introspective and artistic. To me, I think it's fresh air from most of what he's done since leaving Dave Douglas' band.

·
Registered
1,469 Posts
Bought the new E.A.

"Temple of the Olympic Zeus" is awesome! He's definitely becoming one of my favorite living tenor players. He has a harmonic sense that is second to none!

·
Registered
2,942 Posts
Yeah, a heard a track from Temple on the radio a few days ago. It was obvious the tenor player had studied Trane deeply, so I finally decided it must be Dave Liebman. I was suprised to discover it was Eric.

This is not to say he was trying to clone Coltrane.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
3,875 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I don't know if I've ever heard anyone confuse Alexander with Liebman. :shock:

·
Registered
2,942 Posts
Well, it didn't exactly sound like Liebman in terms of tone but I couldn't think of who else it could be.

The style seemed to be less in the George Coleman patterns mode than usual.

I don't remember the name of the cut.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Forum Contributor 2009
4,567 Posts
SaxJazz12 said:
"Temple of the Olympic Zeus" is awesome! He's definitely becoming one of my favorite living tenor players. He has a harmonic sense that is second to none!

I love his playing.....But harmonic sense second to none!!!

·
Registered
1,469 Posts
sonnymobleytrane said:
I love his playing.....But harmonic sense second to none!!!
I'm guilty of some hyperbole there...for sure. But I think among younger guys (using that term kind of broadly) he is among the most interesting to listen to in terms of how he plays over changes!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts